012. painted purple

𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗔𝗠𝗜𝗟𝗬 𝗡𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥 𝗞𝗡𝗘𝗪 about the abuse, Sawyer was the first person to find out. Her family had been away on a business trip leaving her behind and Campbell invited himself over. Sawyer never knew about the abuse until she was in the hospital because her ex would portray her as the best thing on the planet that happened to him, that he loved and adored her.

And he never left her alone anymore, so she couldn't talk to them. Hunter was always a happy child and would speak up whenever something was morally or unethically wrong, so people thought if something was wrong, she would speak up.

They were together for two years before Sawyer found out. He was quite controlling from the moment they met, but the abuse really started after Hunter made the cheer team, and it just escalated from there and got worse.

Campbell picked her because she was a nobody and had no idea where she belonged in the world. She was the perfect girl to mold into what he wanted. When Hunter started to develop and become more outspoken, she made friends and gained attention from others.

She had no idea about the option of leaving. Violence and abuse are a form of control. When you're in the relationship for a long time, you lose your identity. You believe in the lies you were told. You don't get much sense of freedom, and, on average, it takes a woman seven times to leave a relationship for good.

The emotional abuse gradually became more intense, and then the physical abuse set in. One of the things abusers tend to do is to isolate us from the community as well.

And then, there is the shame factor in the whole abuse.

. . .

There were problems. The entire town would admit it. A group of high schoolers held a trial for murder. A group of kids is writing a new history for their town. A town where nothing exists except what was within town limits, with one exception. No adults, no family, just the portion of kids between the age of sixteen and eighteen. A group of teens running a town all by themselves.

The day started quiet. Hunter sat at the kitchen table clutching an empty mug in her hands. Her mother used to drink coffee every morning when she was a little girl. Hunter remembered the time she made the cheer team, and her Mom took her for coffee after with a wide smile.

Footsteps behind her cause Hunter to turn around and softly smile at Grizz.

"Hey." Grizz whispered. "Um, I just got done talking to Luke and he wanted me to report somethings to you."

Hunter nodded slowly, the memories of the past still present, "What's wrong?"

"Well, with two prisoners now, plus protecting you, it's a problem." Grizz started to explain, poring himself a cup of coffee, "So we have nobody in the streets."

"We need to train new people, expand The Guard." Hunter explained, watching as Grizz drank the coffee straight black. She scrunched up her nose.

"Right, um, we'll know better how many people we need once you decided if we are going to arrest Harry."

"I'm not arresting him. Wishing someone was dead isn't a crime. It's just disgusting. That is if Dewey was telling the truth." Hunter exclaimed.

"It's just The Guard wants to know what decision you're going make, regarding moving forward with Dewey and him."

Hunter nodded; he was refiring to Campbell. "I have a lot of decisions to make."

Grizz nodded, he watched as Hunter stood up and made her way to the door where Campbell was being detained. Campbell looked up at her. His left hand was pinned down behind him to the heater. He rubbed the back of his neck before speaking up.