008. a noble lie

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗢𝗟𝗟𝗢𝗪𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗡𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧, 𝗛𝗨𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗥 found herself sitting on the couch in Campbell's house, just basking in the absence of his presence. Things had recently been calm, and not only in her relationship or lack there off. No guns had been seen for nearly the same amount of time no one had seen Campbell.

Grizz was uneasy the whole time he knew she was possibly alone with Campbell, however he understood that it was crossing boundaries to step in. Hunter assured everyone she was okay, and everyone believed it with her charming smile and charismatic tone of voice.

Eventually, Hunter grew tired and went to bed. The following morning, she still made note of his absence and briefly questioned where he had been speeding all his time, and now overnight. She continued to think about this all the way to the cafeteria for lunch.

She sat with her knew found group of friends, although she would have always considered them friends, they were now closer. Grizz and Sutton sat on either side of her with Will, Kelly, and Helena across from her.

Hunter watched with curiosity as Sutton slowly signed 'you look handsome.' to Sam who sat across the cafeteria.

She remembered trying to teach Campbell how to sign for his own brother and how he angerly brushed it off and told her he 'wasn't into gang signs'.

The entire room was tense. Girls had bats in their backpacks, and everyone knew who had a gun and who didn't. Yet, no one had their gun in the open.

Hunter  looked around to see kids arguing and one kid smacked the other's tray to the ground. The kid whose tray was now on the ground stepped forward. The bigger kid pushed him down and the sound of a gunshot rang through the air.

Will grabbed Kelly and pushed her under the table while Grizz did the same to Hunter, reaching a handout to grab Sutton also who stared in shock at the altercation. She watched from under the table as a kid stepped up a table and pointed his gun at a girl across the room who had a gun out. They yelled back and forth to drop the gun but neither of them did.

"This isn't happening." Kelly whispered to herself.

Hunter scootched over slightly so she was able to extend a hand and grip on Kelly's, giving her a soft squeeze. As she rubbed her thumb over Kelly's hand, her eyes wandered until they set on Gordie's eyes from across the room.

He looked at her like she needed to do something. That was when she realized he was right. They would all kill each other if someone didn't take control. Before she could react, Will slowly stood up with his hands raised.

"Hey, Russo." Will put his hands up. "Be cool, man."

Another sound filled the room. The fire alarms blared as kids started to get up and run. Hunter's head shot over to the back of the room and gave a thankful nod to Sam and Becca. Kids jumped over tables and other kids as they all made their way to the exit. Three kids stayed behind pointing guns at each other.

Hunter stood up, ready to try and de-escalate the situation, but when Sutton urged her to run, she turned around and kept running alongside her friends.

. . . 

The room was silent. Hunter sat alongside Grizz, Allie, Sam, Becca, Luke, Will, and Sutton in the Pressman's kitchen. The group where collectively trying to come up with the best course of action to move forward with a leader. Although they all knew Hunter was the best option, she was still reluctant to believe it herself.

She was kind and compassionate, both her strength and weakness.

"There's no other option, Hunter, it has to be you." Allie spoke softly. "We all know that if things weren't like this, back home, you would have been the valedictorian."