013. you held your breath

a/n: finally grizz and hunter have a moment. also I ripped off stiles and lydia's first kiss but it's such a cute moment that i felt fit in with hunter and grizz's character development. final thing, there's about 5-7 chapters left that i'm going to just upload all at once so I can focus on other books bc this one is looking like a flop :(

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗖𝗛𝗨𝗥𝗖𝗛 𝗪𝗔𝗦 𝗙𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗘𝗗 with whispers and chatter as Hunter ad called everyone back for the announcement of the punishment. She walked down the aisle with a serious face, all the members of The Guard behind Dewey except for Grizz who had argued his place behind her.

Since the release of Campbell, Grizz hadn't left her side and Allie was trying to apologize to no luck. Hunter had grabbed all her things from Campbell's house with the help of the guard and moved her things to Grizz's spare bedroom.

Dewey and Helena sat at the same table. Allie and Will sat a few rows behind them, and Campbell was nowhere to be found. Hunter walked p the aisle and faced the group. She didn't sit down, and she didn't smile. She stayed straight-faced. The room got quiet, as she looked around as the chatter died down.

"I had two decisions to make. Two rulings. First, Campbell. This court is not about vengeance. It's about fairness and justice. The only evidence we have against Campbell is from Dewey himself and it is unreliable. No evidence means no trial. So, last night I ordered that Campbell be released from custody."

The uproar in the crowd began. "It was the right thing to do. As for Dewey, he has been found guilty of murder and the punishment for murder is death."

All the people who were so quick to turn on Dewey decided, suddenly, they would protect him.

"Are you kidding me?" Dewey jumped up and yelled, Luke and Jason pulled Dewey back into his seat.

"Let this be a warning." Hunter stated.

"This is not a court!" Dewey objected and stood up, but he was met by Luke and Jason holding him back. "You are fucking crazy! You hear me?"

Luke and Jason started to drag Dewey down the aisle." "You have no right!" Dewey yelled as he was dragged. "I'm going to fucking kill, you bitch! I'm gonna kill you! Then you'll be dead just like Cassandra!"

"Let's go," Grizz said from behind Hunter. They both knew they were empty threats, but he still didn't want Hunter to be a subject to aggression any more than she needed.

People yelled at Hunter as she walked by, but she kept her eyes fixated on the doors in front of her. Campbell stood in front of the door and looked her up and down.

"Don't make a scene." She whispered to Grizz without turning her head.

"What'd you decide?" Campbell asked, he chose his words carefully trying to seem as if it was about Dewey when the reality of the question was to gain entail about where he stood with Hunter.

"We're executing him tomorrow."

Campbell looked up at the three boys behind her in disbelief. He looked as if he wanted to say something in objection, but he held back. He just nodded before walking off.

The rest of the night was quiet. Hunter kept to herself, reading a book she had found in Grizz's living room. As she curled up on the couch, Grizz slept next to her his face twisted up in anxiety as he was exhausted from trying to be everyone protector.

. . .

Hunter watched as Grizz handed guns to Jason and Luke. Grizz then picked up his own and held the gun between two fingers like it was a broken but dangerous toy.