001. lavender and sage

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗦𝗠𝗘𝗟𝗟 𝗢𝗙 lavender and sage swirled into everyone's nose as the blonde cheerleader scurried into the auditorium to take her seat. She felt a wave of embarrassment flood over her as she was barely a minute late to play with friends. The cheerleader took her seat between her best friend and another boy that she would call a friendly acquaintance.

Her best friend, Sawyer Layton, was so intrigued by another student seated before her that he didn't notice the girl sitting beside him. The friendly acquaintance on the other hand looked up the moment her scent caught his attention, giving her a wide smile.

"Hey, Hunter," he softly greeted, making sure not to speak too loudly and interrupt the play occurring at West Ham high school.

The cheerleader, Hunter, smiled back and gave him a small wave, "Hey Grizz!"

Grizz Visser was probably one of the nicest jocks at West Ham, always friendly and making sure everyone felt included. Although Hunter had the status of a cheerleader, she chose to hanging out with her best friend Sawyer who swore to break the 'treacherous stigma behind being a loser, because its iconic'.

Hunter would describe Grizz as one of the smartest students, maybe even one of the smartest kids in the town. The two had briefly done a science project in tenth grade and bonded over the fact that both had a 'popular' hobby and yet found peace in science and academics. She made sure to remember his kindness, as he remembered hers.

"Did someone shit themselves?" Sawyer leaned into Hunter and whispered. Grizz who was in ear shot sniffled a laugh.

Hunter scrunched up her nose as she inhaled a smell that she couldn't fathom to breathe. "It's back," she whispered.

When the show was over, Hunter sat on the staircase leading up to the balcony seats waiting for her friend to make her way from backstage so she could congratulate them on another play. Although Allie had not been on stage, her work from behind the scenes was very noticeable.

Clark stood in front of Hunter, dangling a bag of popcorn in front of Harry's face who swatted it away. Sawyer, the socially awkward person he is, was practically undressing Harry with his eyes.

Grizz stood off to the side, watching Hunter move around flowers in the large bouquet she had brought. He thought it was cute that the girl was so supportive of her friend and had mentioned a couple minutes ago that the florist didn't have Allie's favorite flowers so she drove a town over to get them, hence being that whole minute late.

"Are you going to Harry's party tonight?" Kelly asked. She was another friendly person to Hunter, as they both were on the cheer team.

Sawyer tilted his head towards the conversation, completely unaware that there was even consideration of them being invited to the party. Well, more so him. Hunter was considered popular even though she couldn't be bothered to hang out with the group.

Before Hunter could politely turn down the party, Cassandra pressman approached them with Allie and Will trailing behind her. Allie and Hunter exchanged grins, before the cheerleader jumped up to present her friend with the bouquet of flowers.

"Party at your house, Harry?" Cassandra Pressman stopped in front of the group. "So nice of you to invite everyone."

"Would you even come, Cassandra?" Harry shot back, scowling at her.

"It's not for the play. It's for the people helping with the prom." Hunter explained, only knowing this because it was an unspoken rule of the cheerleading squad to be on the prom committee. "We can go together, Allie if you'd like?"

"She'd like to." Sawyer chimed in.

"It's okay," Cassandra smiled, "I'll see you all tomorrow."

"Oh," Grizz cut in as he put out his arm to stop Cassandra, "by the way, Cassandra, you were really, really great tonight."