🌑 Chapter Six ☀️

2298
Milky Way Galaxy
Planet Earth
Brooklyn, New York
Stone Brooke Apartment Complex, Apartment #1501

_________________________

Malyla leaned back against the couch, popping a cheese ball into her mouth. "Finally! I'm done!" She victoriously cheered, a smile graced her lips and a small content sigh followed. "I think I may be ready for the big test."

Pedro looked up, zipping up his pencil case and tossing it into his backpack. "Wow, you sound pretty confident," He noted, gathering up his homework into a neat little pile.

Malyla reached for another cheese ball. "I suppose I'm just ready for school to be over with. Senior year is probably the hardest year, especially with everyone worrying about grades and which colleges will accept them. One thing I don't have to worry about."

Adel anxiously looked between Pedro and Malyla, twirling his pencil between his fingers. "College is a big deal, especially if you're going into a field like aviation and aeronautics." He hinted, emphasizing the two words.

Pedro turned to Malyla. "Still don't know what you're gonna do? It's fine if you don't. I'm bouncing between ideas since I am not set on a career or college." He asked, grabbing a piece of butter cracker and laying a layer of cheese and turkey then popping it in his mouth.

"No, I don't." Malyla replied, shaking her hand and rolling a cheese ball between her thumb and index finger.. I'll figure it out come graduation. I don't think my grades will get me into anything but community college."

Fletcher, who had been silently brushing up on his medical textbook, pulled his eyes away and looked at Malyla. "Community college isn't all that bad. It's more affordable and closer to home, besides, you haven't made up your mind on what you wish to do." He pointed out, closing the book and setting it beside him.

Sammy, with his tongue sticking out slightly, stood at the dining room table trying to wedge a meat cleaver between the front cover and pages of the book, trying to pry it open. "Come on," He mumbled under his breath.

Malyla turned towards her brother and got up off the floor. "Sammy, you're going to hurt yourself." She said, walking over to him and holding out her hand so he could place the knife in it. "Hand it over."

Sammy frowned, grudgingly he set the knife in her hand and sighed. "It won't come open. It's like someone glued the pages together." He whined, plopping down in one of the chairs at the table.

Malyla glanced at the book and then toward her brother. "Maybe it's just a prop. It doesn't look like anything, maybe even elven, something from a movie or TV series. It's probably not meant to be opened so stop." She bluntly said, recoiling when she realized her words may have been too harsh.

Sammy didn't find them harsh. It was something that never crossed his mind before. "You're probably -" Before he could finish the book suddenly opened, pages flipping at a rapid speed and stopping at a blank. "Ah~" He yelped, jumping out of his chair.

Malyla jumped back in reflex to Sammy, dropping the knife onto the tile floor with a clang. "Oh my goodness, did that just -" She cut herself off, pulling her brother away from the book and against the counter. "It just opened by itself!"

Fletcher jumped off the couch, followed by Pedro and Adel hastily. "What happened?" He asked, looking at the now open book on the table and then over to Sammy and Malyla's white faces. "Are you guys okay?"