☀️ Chapter Five 🌑

2298
Milky Way Galaxy
Planet Earth 
Lincoln County Nevada
Neon Alien 24 Hour Diner
_________________________

Hara, Logan, Varian, Summer Dawn, and Chenoa sat at a booth inside a flying saucer-shaped diner. The neon lights both inside and outside made it stand out against the bland futurist style of the other buildings. 

Logan sat back, patting his stomach a few times before covering his mouth and letting out a soft burp. "Ah ~ now that's what I call lunch. Nothin' like a classic cheeseburger and french fries." He mused with a lopsided smile. 

Hara nudged his arm with her elbow and cracked a smile. "Too bad the milkshake machine was broken, I missed a chance to dip my fries in one." She sighed, letting the smile fade just as quickly as it appeared on her lips.

Varian's face twisted into a look of disgust, wrinkling his nose, curling his upper lip up, and cringing. "That is disgusting." He shuddered at the thought of the combination. 

Hara shrugged her shoulders with a cheeky grin. "Is the Great Varian disgusted with my choice of combos?" She teased, her voice light and airy. "Yeah, I like acquired combinations, I could say pickles and chicken are gross, but I don't."

Varian rolled his eyes. "Chicken and pickles are a classic southern combo, not that you'd appreciate it." He commented condescendingly. "Are you ready to go? Or is there somewhere I should chauffeur you too?"

Logan rolled his eyes and gave a lopsided smile which disappeared just as quickly as it appeared. "Well, I'd like to stay out longer but I guess we don't have much of a choice, huh?" He glared over at Varian, who just kept a stoic face.

Varian inwardly rolled his eyes and scoffed under his breath. "Hey, I was nice enough to allow you to come along. I don't have all the time in the world to be your chauffeur, I have things to do too. Besides, I'd hate for you to get into trouble for leaving the academy." In the last part, he spoke condescendingly. 

Logan threw his hands up in the air and huffed. "When did you start caring about us? Don't flatter yourself, Varian. We'd just get a warning, remember, we're model students, can't say the same, huh?" He countered, just as condescendingly as Varian did.

Varian locked eyes with Logan and slowly narrowed them, clenching his jaw. He was not going to let Logan of all people get the last word. "Two can play this game." He spat, placing his hands on the table and slowly rising from his seat. 

"Okay boys, put away the guns, we don't need a standoff here." Chenoa commented, putting his hands out between the two boys she was seated in the middle of. "So, please, let's just keep it civil until we get to the academy. I don't want WWIV started,"

Logan huffed begrudgingly, standing up and crossing his arms. "Fine." He huffed, walking towards the door as Varian silently stood up and crawled out of the booth, Summer Dawn and Hara following quietly after exchanging looks. 

Chenoa set the book on the table and proceeded to crawl out of the booth after her sister, Logan, and Varian as a flash of light caught the corner of her eye as she turned toward the book. 

"What the -" She cut herself off as she watched the book open by itself and turn to a blank page. Her eyes went wide and she yelped, scurrying away from the book. "Ah-" 

Hara turned around at her sister's exclamation. She rushed over with worry in her eyes. "Chenoa, what's wrong?" She asked hastily, Logan and Varian walking up beside her, quizzical looks on their faces.