Chapter Twenty-Nine: Dance of the Flames

Max stood in the center, eyes sweeping across the dusty ground and up into the ruinous seats. Hooded figures watched silently, black cloaks in contrast to the white chains that bound them to the benches.

Max shifted uncertainly on his feet. He had been forced into the arena. His outfit was one of Gardvian make, his Alerdreamian one having finally been ripped and battered to disrepair.

A flowing brown tunic covered his tough leather armor. The tunic had feathered sleaves, each a unique shade and length. The whole outfit was wrapped tight around his body with a red sash; Max was still getting used to it, however, his movements felt more agile as he bounced on the balls of his feet, awaiting for what happened next.

The dusty arena had a large set of black doors on the far side and Max waited for the figure who was sure to appear from it. If he could, he would have escaped, but large walls blocked his escape, his only option was to defeat his opponent.

At that moment, the doors swung open on oiled hinges, the large doors opening up to show a dank tunnel beyond. And a figure entered. His long black hair was tied back with a blue sash in a ponytail, falling on his silver armored shoulder. He was sturdily built with square shoulders, tall and muscular, muscles rippled, his arms being exposed as they were, Max could easily see his strength. His dark green eyes looked Max up and down, and a small frown crept onto his angular face. The man shook his head and sneered "You're dead."

Max ignored him and looked up to see a cloaked figure stand, his chained arms by his side. His voice was emotionless, genderless, and indistinct "Two warriors meet. Only one shall live. Draw your weapons and fight. To the death. The winner walks free to the Ring, which leads directly to the seventh Entral. Commence as you wish." He sat down and the crowd watched silently.

Max breathed deeply, letting his feet shift beneath him to a defensive position. His weapon was still sheathed, he had gotten it from Gardvia and didn't wish to use it unless he had to.

His opponent grinned as he took a short metal stick from his side. Max looked at him quizzically, what type of strange weapon was that?

The warrior took off full pelt, running faster than what his size seemed to allow. He closed the gap between them quickly.

Max ducked under the first lunge, his fist rising upwards as he stood, slamming underneath the man's chin. Using the momentum of his stand, he extended the punch, snapping the man's head backwards. Max raised his palm and his aura blossomed around him as he sent a fireball careening into the man's chest.

The warrior was keeled over, slamming backwards onto the ground as flames engulfed his body. He rolled to his feet, lurching away from Max. He bristled with rage and snapped his arm forward, the metal shaft extending into a long rod with a knifed point.

Max was already in a different spot, to the man's left "Ignis folliculos germinaret!" A flame exploded from underneath the warrior. The man stabbed the ground with his staff, and, with surprising grace for a person his size, vaulted away from the flame with a powerful push, cursing as the flames licked his legs.

Max looked at the man as he landed "I have nothing against you," he began talking in the lull of the fight "I have to live on, so you must die. Forgive me, please." Max had really never liked killing, now was no exception. He had always killed for his kingdom, now what was his purpose?

He shook his head to clear his mind and looked as the man, Silverware, as Max now referred to him, charged at Max, metal rod, stabbing in his direction.

Max dodged to the left, the fringe of his tunic sweeping across the ground. In one swift movement, he dived to the ground, lifting his leg so that his boot-clad foot slammed into Silverware's exposed kneecap with a sickening crunch.