Chapter Six: Dead Before Dawn

Max watched as the Andanobii prepared to engage the small group, his eyes darting from figure to figure, his sword raised in wait, the tip flicking and darting expectantly. Max quickly counted nine of them, there amber cloaks melting into the shadows. They had more than double their numbers. Max hoped they could make it through the ordeal alive.

It happened all of sudden, like the calm before the storm breaking. It was chaos. The attackers rushed at them with unbelievable speed.

Max blocked one blow from an axe, deflecting the overhand strike off the side of his blade. in one fluid movement, he sidestepped a lunge of a sword, twisting the opposing weapon to the ground before lunging forward, his blade finding cruel home. He spun on his heel and impaled Cometfell into the axe wielder, dropping him to the spongy ground, wet from recent rain. Max allowed his aura to bloom around him and he raised his left hand at an Andanobii who was attacking Cooper, taking careful aim, knowing he wouldn't miss.

The air exploded around the Andanobii in a blast of flame. He was sent screaming into the air, his amber cloak alight with scarlet fury. Max watched as Cooper sent a pillar of water up to encase him and then freeze it. The ice shattered and the Andanobii fell limp to the ground. Max knew he had no choice but to kill, least they kill him. Still, his thoughts were not eased as he saw the blood run down his blade. 

Max tore his eyes from Cooper as he hastily swiped an incoming knife out of the air. Near the top of a nearby hill, he could just see a crouched figure throwing projectiles down at them.

Max took on an oncoming Andanobii, blocking a blast of shadows off the tip of his sword, sending the blast away from himself. He leaped forward, his elbow slamming into his opponent's face. The man could only grunt as he lost consciousness.

To his left, an Andanobii was a blurred shadow and Max lunged forward at the approaching target. His blow was blocked to the side by a flick of a shadow, his side exposed and his guard broken.

Max rolled under a sword slash that would have severed his head. He rolled onto his feet and slashed at the attacker. His blow was expertly blocked in a clang of sparks as their swords met. Max disengaged and quickly sent a fireball blurring at his attacker. A void of darkness swallowed the flame, and as soon as it did, a volley of shadow blades materialized into existence and shot at Max, each blade hissing as it sliced through the cold air.

They were so fast Max had no time to think. The swords slammed into him like missiles and he was shot off his feet, twisting in the air, his breath punching out of him. He landed on the ground in a disheveled heap. A dark red seeped through his cloak, adding to the moisture on the ground.

Max tried to breath, but his lungs were quickly filling with blood. It can't be, Max thought, as his vision began to blur. It can't be.

He watched through dimming eyes as Cooper fell to the ground with a scream of agony. Max saw as he clutched his face and wailed, and he could do nothing. The vision being fulfilled. So soon, Max thought, his strength ebbing away.

And finally, as the pain won over Max and he let in the darkness, it fell over him and he could hear the whispers from his dreams, louder and closer than ever.

He could finally hear all of what their malevolent voices had to speak. And they crooned in voices of pure horror:

Death shall come and strike the land
The kingdom shall fall by its own hand
A promise of hope will cast the dice
The blood of One will only suffice

A screech of pure rage split the air and the ground rumbled and split. And the world was cast into darkness.
*******************************************

DragonDog1: Sorry for the cliffhanger. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please comment and vote because your opinions matter to me greatly. Thank you!