Chapter Fourteen: The Frost Brothers

The room was still as Greg looked at the knife being pointed at him. He saw the knife so steady in Xensor's pale hand, so deadly, ready to take his life. His eyes took in the setting, the medium sized room, the walls a pale white, the ceiling low, good for smashing Xensor into, bad for Soaring Eagle. The door open, Xensor blocking the only exit.

He could feel the drain the Winderlate had exhorted on him. He needed to buy some time. "What do you want from me? I'm on your side." Greg said, feigning innocence.

Xensor gave a flat laugh and his grip tightened around the knife hilt, turning his knuckles a rosy red from the tension. "Say what you want," he sneered "I saw you Winderlate in here, you can't fool me. A little magic is natural talent, but that, what you did right now, you trained to do that. You're an elemental warrior."

Greg gave him a cooky smile "You could be right, but you're wrong." He was stretching for time. He could feel as his energy slowly returned; too slow.

Xensor shook his head "Shut up, Gregory, your cowardice is pathetic." Greg felt an urge to rip out Xensor's throat out rise in his stomach "You were probably there, when my brother was killed. Tempest never came back from that damn battle. And you dare stand in front of me and pretend, pathetic."

Greg was like that of a river, calm on the top but a whirl of anger below the surface. He kept his face calm as he silently cursed all Xensor stood for.

"You think me stupid? You're an elemental warrior and you know it." Xensor sneered. Greg looked at Xensor, failing to keep the guilty truth from his eyes. "I can see it in your face." Xensor said, grinding his teeth in frustration as he slowly clenched and unclenched his hand around his obsidian knife.

"Since you know," Greg said, slowly moving his hand behind his back and towards his weapon, his fingers twitching "I can't keep you alive." Greg tugged his staff from behind him, swinging it around to bat Xensor's knife aside, already having judged the distance between them.

Xensor's arm was cracked to the side and his fingers sprang open, making him drop his weapon. Greg felt as his aura whirled around him, it's silver sheen casting light on the pasty walls of the room. Greg pointed his staff at Xensor "Gustum!" A blast of air slammed into Xensor, his arm a mere inch away from the hilt of his obsidian knife. He grunted as his back slammed against the far wall, his head cracking into it. Greg blasted a bolt of electricity at Xensor. The amber cloaked man was already moving, rolling under the lightning, narrowly avoiding the blast. He snatched up his knife and as he got to his feet, he pointed it at Greg. Greg swore, putting his staff diagonally across his body in a defensive stance.

A wispy tendril of shadow whipped from the tip of the blade, wrapping around Greg's unprotected ankle. Xensor gave a arrogant smile as he ripped his arm back sharply, the shadow cracking backward.

Greg yelled out as he was torn off his feet, his head hitting the floor with a meaty thud. The shadows slithered up his right leg and tightened, a cobra going in for the kill. As the shadows gripped and twisted, Greg swore as shadows cut into his flesh like piano wire. Greg struggled to get loose from the shadows, but they kept coming, wrapping tightly around both his arms and his left leg.

With a absentminded flick of Xensor's wrist, he was sent smashing into the bed frame, the collision so fast and hard, it shattered the wooden frame into splinters.

Greg's head hung down limply and he struggled to stay conscious. The shadows slowly uncurled from Greg's limbs and he slumped forward onto his knees. He gasped sharply for air and his insides churned with pain.

As he recovered, Xensor looked on at him with eyes devoid of pity, full of contempt. Greg spat, blood hitting the sterile, white floor. He looked up, his face a mask, feigning cool determination, feeling as his energy was restored "That's all you got. I thought you better..." Xensor's face twisted with fury. With a roar, he combined the shadows into a thick chain and whipped them down at Greg's head.

Greg rolled away from the attack and he heard a tremendous crash as it obliterated whatever was left of the bed. Greg spun to his feet, staff whirling "Ventis laminis!" Greg sliced his staff diagonally and the air stirred around him, his torn cloak billowing in the gale. Crescent blades of air launched from the folds of his aura, rushing at his foe.

Xensor's eyes opened wide in surprise and he quickly raised his hand in front if himself. A shield of white energy crackled into existence, enclosing protectively around him. Greg could see how he strained to keep the slicing wind at bay, his heels digging into the floor.

Greg cut off the spell and soon after Xensor let down his shield. Without missing a beat, Greg took to the air, minding the low ceiling, splaying his hand behind him, pushing at the air to propel himself forward. Greg swung the staff at Xensor, the weapon moving through the air in a vicious blur. The blow connected and Xensor was struck off his feet and was sent skidding across the floor.

Greg couldn't let him recover, knowing full well that he wouldn't be able to beat him if he got caught by the shadows once more. He dashed after Xensor, his movements fluid, long years of training clearly visible in his remarkable speed, even after all the injuries he had sustained. As Xensor went to get up, Greg pushed at the air. The air crackled around Xensor and a bright light exploded around him with an impressive detonation. He stumbled back, blood running down his face and arms. Greg followed up on his weakness by pushing at the wind, loosing his aura in a high speed gust.

The wind slammed into Xensor and he folded over, crumpling to the ground.

Greg slowed down as he neared Xensor, his eyes scanning for signs of danger.

The man was breathing heavily and unsteadily. His eyes flicked up to meet Greg's, giving him a loathing glare. "You act...like this is over," Xensor wheezed slightly in pain "it isn't. I'll show you your wrong. That they're wrong."

Greg lunged forward with his staff as Xensor twisted his ring on his finger.

Greg's staff cracked down at Xensor.

He was too slow.

A wall of darkness crashed into Greg, flinging his staff from his hand and launching him quickly across the room. His back hit the wall and his eyes dimmed.

When he opened his eyes, Xensor was standing unsteadily, shadows arcing from his blade. And then they came, seething with death and destruction, drilling at Greg.
*****************************************************

DragonDog1: well, well, cliffhanger. Whoops (jk, I totally meant for that to happen.) don't worry the next chapter will be out soon, just be patient. Please comment and vote because your opinions matter to me greatly. Thank you!