Chapter Twenty-Three: Church the Collecter

The city shone ever brightly, the lights twinkling like stars in the night sky. The rich were at their finest, going out to parties and taverns, enjoying the limelight. But all light cast darkness, and the men cut from different cloth also found their dominion during this time, taking to the alleys and rooftops.

Church was one of them.

He dashed across the roofs, his hair playing in the wind. His tight fitting leather armor was clothed by a black jacket and dark brown greaves. As he leapt and grabbed the lip of another roof, his Vlaggon boots and gloves gripped the roof tightly and his muscled arms swung him up to the next rooftop.

He stood on the four-story building, and looked at the courtyard sitting surrounded by the tall building. He grinned.

He ran fast but stealthily, keeping to the shadows. He ran to the other side of the roof and let himself drop over the edge. The wind rustled around him and he quickly reached out a hand and it snagged a windowsill. The window was closed, so, with a sigh, he climbed down the tiled wall, his hands finding the most meticulous handholds.

He dropped softly to the courtyard ground. Yew trees grew in its expanse and statues of ancient and mythical beast were dotted around its premises.

Church knew a lot about his target. Senpai Yenson, a rich merchant, lived in this impressive estate. He was known for his collection of rare weapons from Yeuetan and Alerdreamia. Church had heard this from Kayo; she was a really helpful gal. And his interest had been peaked.

He dashed from shadow to shadow, aware that sentries were scouting the upper walkway, bows trained on the courtyard. He skillfully avoided their gazes and soon found himself under the balcony, a sliding Yeutan door in front of him. He pressed his ear to the panel, waiting in bated breath. He kept one eye on the walkway across the courtyard, knowing that if anyone walked by and looked over here, they would see him in his exposed spot. He heard soft voices on the other side of the screen, so he waited ever patiently, ever quietly. He could see as a guard slowly paced into view. He began to shift as the guard walked the expanse of the walkway.

He dodged to his left, sprinting low to the ground in the direction of a statue. A voice rang out, loud and clear in the night air "Halt!" Paying no mind, Church slipped behind the marble bust of a drake, waiting for the give-away twang of an arrow shot. "Haha, hello Barry. Just here to relieve you..."

Church let out his held breath. A false alarm...

After he counted out five minutes, he slipped from his hiding place, dashing back to the slide panel door. He listened once more. Nothing. He slid open the door and walked in, sliding it silently behind him.

The room was small, decorated in traditional Yuetan style. Matted floors and yew wood walls with elegant yet simplistic ink paintings. He remembered the last time he had been in a home of this sorts. He had been exploring the Dreisma Plains when he had come upon a huge manor. After slipping in the backdoor, he had explored the house and his eyes had laid on the most beautiful of daggers.

It had a hilt of pearl and a blade of gleaming opal. He had picked it up carefully to examine it, touching the tip with his finger. It drew blood at the slightest touch. He had pocketed the weapon and made his swift escape. He still had the weapon, securely stashed in the bottom part of his back sheathe where he kept ShatterBone.

He noted the stairs to the left and ran up them, finding himself in a long hallway. He knew exactly where the weapons would be. He opened a closet on the far side off the hall. It seemed like a standard closet at first but Church knew otherwise. He pushed a coat to the side and pressed his other hand to the back wall.