Chapter Three: Crown Passage

Sybil tried her best to look straight forward, to ignore the steeping drop that was so close. She focused on the tall mountain peaks in the distance and the soft and faithful tread of her horse. Sybil lowered her gaze from the lofty mountains and rested her eyes on Mathias' thin figure.

Mathias rode ahead of her on Lotus. He hadn't said anything since the start of the journey but Sybil didn't blame him. Being forced to leave the castle in the middle of the night almost a month ago wasn't exactly something that makes one 'happy'. They had been forced to find safekeeping in the far regions of Alerdreamia, which doesn't exactly lead to much talk.

And the guards didn't help much either. They were all sturdy faced and didn't say a word as they led the prince and princess to safety. Others followed close behind and scouts rode out further ahead to make sure the path was safe, the horses they rode on kicking up the earth in their wake. Only Philla helped, her smile a beam of sunshine in the tundra-ish slopes they journeyed through.

She was directly in charge of her and Mathias's safety, putting their lives as top priority. She was tough, Sybil knew, one of the best warriors there was, at least that's what her dad had told her when he had put Philla in command. She wasn't a stone cold Betty though, so caring and faithful. Sybil had found it hard to trust her at first, after her experience with Abel, guards being kind weren't exactly her favorite people.

She looked ahead and saw the back of her head as she rode at the point of the small caravan, only the scouts ahead of her. Her red hair swung as she rode, rhythmically swaying as her horse trotted faithfully on through the cold. As if noticing she was being watched, she turned. Sybil blushed as Philla flashed her a million shale smile.

Sybil looked away, retreating to her thoughts. In these cold peeks, she began to rely on Philla's instincts and leadership. Sybil even found herself warming up to her caring words and humor. But for as much as the woman could offer, Sybil still felt like part of her life was missing.

Who she really wanted with her was her father and mother. They had both gone off to the city of Corona Lilium to warn the people of the coming war. They then said they would head to the coast with an armed guard. They said they had to meet foreign allies in the ports of Spalding.

Sybil worried for their safety more than her own. Her heart couldn't bare to have another of her beloved ones ripped from her. Her heart still ached for Lloyd and she often silently cried herself to sleep on his sweet memories. At the thought of his death, she tried to pull herself together before she broke down into another fit of tears. I am Sybil, I am the heir to the throne. I can live through this. Lloyd would have wanted me to get past this and find happiness again.

By then, the sun was well up in the sky, but you wouldn't be able to tell because the frothy clouds blocked it's light. Sybil pulled her purple cloak around her and clung to it tightly. The autumn air was cold in the heights of the mountains.

That made Sybil think about where they were going. Corona Skyletto was a manor that resided in the far out hills of the kingdom. Sybil had only ever seen the manor on the two occasions that the royal family had visited it on vacation.

Most of the time they went to their palace in Malvoya for vacation. It was on a peninsula and Sybil had pleasant memories of splashing in the waves with her little brother. She could also vividly remember her two visits in Corona Skyletto.

The manor was a lot smaller than the two other palaces but it had a cozy feel to it. There were giant statues of past royals throughout the castle wrought in never-melt ice. They were all finely detailed and beautiful to lay eyes on. But the manor was more than just fine looks.

The road that led to the castle was long and sheer. Enemies approaching would be easily seen and they would take long to reach the manor. The gate that protected the castle was one of the sturdiest metal make and all attempts to breach it have failed. And if the enemy found a way to sneak through the formidable gate the manor could be protected by guards, who would be able to shoot down at their foes from the mountains to the left and right of the castle and from the parapet walk.

Sybil knew all this because the lead guard had explained to them why they were going there when they first set out. He had told them of their plight. The Andanobii knew where they were. They had to retreat into the mountains of Alerdreamia and hope they don't follow. And if they do, the Alerdreamians protecting the prince and princess must prepare for the siege.

Sybil tightened the cloak around her as the wind whistled songs of misery in her ears and she forced herself not to look down into the valley far below. She clutched her cloak closed with chilled hands as she looked up at the unforgiving peaks.

Sybil feared for her and her brother's lives.
*********************************************

DragonDog1: I hope that chapter satisfied you guys who were waiting for more! Please vote and comment because your opinions matter to me greatly. Thank you!