Chapter Two: Greg's Flight

"You know I have no choice."

"But why are you leaving?" said an exasperated voice.

"I wish I could tell you, but you know I can't. I'll be gone for a while..."

"But-"

The first voice interrupted "But nothing. Don't make this harder than it already is for me. This war, no, this country, means a great deal to me. My home is here, and in these roots, I grew. So, yes, my life may wilt away, or maybe not, but these roots will stay intact."

"...Just be safe, Greg."

Greg laughed "I'm always safe. You just stay out of trouble, okay? No more fighting commanders by yourself."

"I won't. Just survive, Greg, okay. Live to see Kayo."

"I will. Trust me, I will." With that, Greg left the tent. He didn't turn around but he knew his friend was watching as he left in the dark of the night, gliding through the shadows like a phantom, cloak whipping like wings of shadows in the wind.

Greg's mind was a hive of activity. His task seemed impossible. He couldn't believe that he was assigned such a high risk mission. I'm only a Class B, a Class A should have been assigned this, one with the skills needed for the mission. He wondered how they expected him to be able to survive, let alone succeed.

Greg looked at his surroundings and was surprised to notice he was already far away from the camp. The lights twinkled like stars in the distance. His keen eyes could just pick out the roaming sentries among the trees. Leaves strewn at their bases. Fall was settling in on them at last. Just as my fall is setting in on me, Greg thought darkly.

Greg shook himself of the thought "Time to go," Greg whispered to himself. "Before I lose my nerve."

Greg went into Dragonfly, putting his staff vertical to his body and shifting his feet. His aura whipped into a silver existence around his figure, seeming to billow in the wind. "Libra." A radiant symbol of balancing scales burned into the air in front of Greg. The power that burst from the symbol was immense and Greg felt the power flow out of it and strengthen him.

"Aquarius." A silver-blue sign of water flashed beneath the first. The two seemed to inter-merge into a single symbol. The energy seemed to crackle and shift the air.

Greg prepared himself for Big Magic. It was very rare he ever did something like this and it was very taxing. In a battle it was only used for life-or-death situations. In this case, Greg had no choice but to use Big Magic.

Greg let all his aura swell forward in a rush of power. The pure energy made his head thrum.

"Ianuae Magicae." The air warped around Greg in a swirl. He sucked in a last breath of fresh air. Hope this works. With a sound of rushing air, Greg snapped out of existence.

The wind blew over the fields, rustling the bare branches of the trees. The wind stirred a lone branch from a tree near the camp, snapping it, and it flitted slowly to the ground, landing on a pile of dead leaves at its base.

The army campfires glittered in the distance. The sentries continued to stand guard unaware of Greg's absence. Greg was gone and heading for his destiny.
*********************************
DragonDog1: I hope you enjoyed that chapter and will continue to read. Please comment and vote because your opinions matter to me greatly. Thank you!