Chapter Four: Struck in the Heart

He had no choice but to kill him.

Greg spun in a full circle, blocking the vicious slice in midair. In that moment, he slanted his staff, the attacker, who had put his full upper body strength into the blow, was overbalanced by the manuver, his own power launching him towards the ground. The Andanobian's black hair glistened with sweat as his sword slide off of Greg's block.

Greg slammed his knee up into the Andanobian's chest, making the young man gasp as he was lifted off his feet, his toes just grazing the grass. He was thrown across the lawn like a rag doll and he dropped to the ground with a loud thud, his back arching in pain. Greg was like a bullet and he streaked after his target.

Almost as soon as the Andanobii had touched the ground, Greg sent his staff cracking down at his opponent in a crushing overhand blow. Greg grunted as he felt bones give way. The Andanobii's body racked with pain and he let out a yelp. Greg leapt into the air into a perfect Soaring Eagle. His opponent scrambled to his feet, breathing laboriously.

Greg concentrated on his target, not letting his eyes wander for a second. He let no emotion show on his face as he went into the rushing dive of Bat. The Andanobian tried to move out of the way but Greg had keenly predicted his dodge to the right; he was already on course.

He let his aura erupt from within himself and, in a blaze of silver, a shield of pure energy solidified around him. The energy took shape around him and he let the wind blast through it, increasing his acceleration. He slammed into his target, the shield hammering into the man. His staff struck the Andanobii's chest, the energy twisting into the man's body like a spiraling drill of power, the aura sparking and cracking. Greg saw as his shield connected with the opposing Andanobii. Under the weight of Greg and his power, he was crushed to the ground. With a shattering pop, Greg let the shield burst apart.

Like a gale force wind, the shield erupted. Greg landed softly on the hard-packed earth, easily keeping perfect balance. He wiped his brow with the back of his hand, only for show though. He hadn't even broken a sweat.

The Andanobii before him was dead. The body lay limp and pale. Blood dribbled down his chin, hair plastered with mud stuck to the ground like a crow's nest. His once charming face was a mess. Greg's eyes traced down the pale body to the gory gash in the man's chest the drill had wrought. He had done that, without mercy. Greg looked away. He couldn't let his distaste show. Not in front of them.

Sitting soundlessly in the shadows of the tree sat three cloaked figures, three wraiths of shadow and power. Greg could make out their high collared cloaks. He couldn't tell what color they were, the fabric seemed to shift and warp into the shadows, making the figures hard to find, even to Greg's sharp eyes.

Greg made his way to the fringe of the trees, taking careful, precise steps over the uneven ground. He dare not talk, dare not breath too loudly in fear of extermination, swift yet painful. Greg nodded his head towards each of them in an informal bow. He groaned on the inside; bowing and scraping were beneath him but he played the part of obedience, begrudgingly of course.

One of the three cloaked figures spoke in a smooth, glossy voice"You have killed him. Thoroughly. I like that, yes, indeed." Even as close as he was Greg found it hard to track the speakers voice. It was like a whisper on the wind, audible but untraceable.

Another voice followed the first. "Yes, you have done well. But, you could have done better. I feel a power inside of you, boy, ready to be unleashed." Greg could pick out what he believed was a feminine tone but that didn't stop his blood from chilling at her words. They know, Greg sweat. It's all over. His hand twitched towards his staff.

The last voice was barley audible but it seeped with power and malice. Greg stood still, petrified as he began to speak "You may be right, this boy has an abundance of skills and ability, yes. Maybe he was hiding it from us. But why?" The last question was more of a statement. Greg struggled to stand in one spot. He thought he would be heading for the hills in fright or dead in any second. Any thoughts of his injured dignity were soon banished, along with a good deal of his courage and bravado.

Greg let the shivers run through him before clenching his fist and releasing them, relaxing his frame. He wouldn't let go of himself so easily.

He let his true nature take hold, changing his stance slightly so that he could react at a moments notice but looked calm and patient to those who saw him. He was always sure of himself, always prepared and able to defeat the enemy; he didn't like losing. He didn't know what this fear was, but he wasn't letting it take him.

The voice of malice continued and Greg's heart hammered at every word, despite his efforts to stay calm. He couldn't understand what was happening to himself. He was usually so calm and collected. It was like these people projected pure fear. The thought was ripped from his mind as he heard the man's next words "Just who are you?"

Greg felt like his heart was about to give out. He struggled to reign in his fear. I'm no D Class, little kid anymore, he thought, scolding himself. I am Gregory Smith, a B Class elemental warrior of wind, I can do this.

"My name is Gregory Thornwillow," he stated, using the alias that the elemental warrior Fypalenor Farbeam himself had told Greg "I come from the country of Alerdreamia and I wish to join your ranks. I don't care what my past brethren will name me as, I want to show them what it means to fear." Greg held his breath as he waited for their response.

The first voice spoke after a long time "You have proven yourself to me. The Andanobii soldiers accept you. Does the Citizen Rep accept this boy's claims?" Greg sure hoped so.

The tension in the air could be cut with a knife. After almost five minutes of pure, unrelenting silence, the first voice spoke once more, slowly but steadily "If you do not accept, you do know what must happen?" It was like Life had skipped a beat, one second the figure on the left was sitting, the next he was behind Greg, an obsidian knife resting on his throat.

Greg felt his body still. He resisted the urge to fight back, if he did it would all be over in a flash, the guy was that fast. Greg didn't understand how a human could move with such speed. He had been caught completely off guard.

A woman's voice laughed out "No need for hostilities. You've got Gregory on the edge of wetting his trousers!"

The man behind him sighed deeply as he retracted his blade, the dark stone flashing evilly as it was once again concealed. He slunk over to his chair under the eaves of the trees. "I never get to kill anybody anymore," he sulked.

"Cheer up. You'll get your chance during the war. Trust me," she smiled. Or at least that's what Greg assumed, he couldn't actually see her face.

Greg let himself relax his stance. He had done it. He was in. With a jerk, Greg cracked back into a tenseness. "You, Gregory," began the voice of malice "have been accepted. Welcome to the Andanobii. Get ready for war."
**************************************

DragonDog1: I hope you enjoyed this chapter, sorry it took so long. Now get ready for action. But before then, please vote and comment because your opinions matter to me greatly. Thank you!