Chapter One: An Egg

Eight Months before the Battle of Astral Castle.....

The heat thickened the confined space into a sweltering sauna. The air was thick and nature held it's breath in wait. The air hissed and steam rose in great, flowing swaths in the fiery cavern.

An oval shaped egg sat in the center of the room. It's red surface was a ruby sheen. With a crackle, a long, jagged line sneaked down the front of the shell.

A voice rumbled from the cave "It is time." A large reptilian head eyed the quivering egg with a steady gaze. A long snout of dark blue led to large nostrils that exuded a steamy vapor. "The sword has been awoken. The time has come." With a scraping of talons on stone, the intelligent creature scrambled to the enormous opening of the cave. Wings unfurled from it's sides. They snapped out and the dark blue scales gleamed like a collection of knives.

The dragon turned to look back at the large egg as another jagged crack slithered down the side of the egg. He reared his blue head "You will know what to do, little one. We will all play a part in this. Mine begins now. Fare thee well, little one. If you succeed, your name shall forever live on in this realm to inspire." With that said he leapt from the ledge, wings beating strongly.

The giant beast soon disappeared beyond the rocky mountains and into the distance.

The cave echoed like a clap of thunder as the egg shattered in a blast of flaming heat. The birth of a dragon is no small thing. The shell was evaporated in the flare of the intense heat. Dazzling sparks of gold spiraled into the air. They curved around the room, illuminating the walls and flames shot out like missiles from where the egg had been.

As the fire finally died down the golden sparks circled the scaled creature that now inhabited the cave.

It's dark brown eyes shined with the light of the sparks. It's three foot long body shined in a radiant light. It's scales glistened ruby red, the color of the shell it had been born from. Small wings curled at it's side. They were the same ruby color but streaks of yellow went over the red.

As the golden sparks descended upon the small dragon it shined, a firework in the night. The light seeped into the dragons scales. It reared it's body as the power took its effect. Flames burst forth from its maw. The flames blazed like liquid gold, scorching the air into shimmering waves. The fire slowly expanded itself and the dragon slumped to the cave floor.

It had succeeded in the Awakening Rite.

The mythical creature lay on the cave floor. Scorch marks decorated the floor. It was too exhausted to explore its new existence. A small feeling told the dragon to rest before it began its long journey. It soon dozed on the hot ground. It's chest lifted and fell as it's breathing leveled.

The dragon had no clue that it played a large role in the destiny of Alerdreamia.
**************************************
DragonDog1: I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter of this book. You'll be back with your favorite characters before you know it! Please comment and vote because your opinions matter to me. Thank you!