Chapter Ten: Death From Above

Sybil was relieved and finally felt her stress was all but gone. She was content, content as she could be running from the enemy, that is. With both her parents in mortal danger, hundreds of miles away.

They had made it to Corona Skyletto earlier that day. The faintly familiar surroundings helped calm her nerves. The wooden spiral staircase in the foyer brought back memories of her chasing Mathias around, the large cabinet in the kitchen had always been full of great food.

She smiled fondly at the memories. She really had enjoyed her stays here, as out of the way as the castle was.

But now, as she looked down the halls, all she could think of was her parents. So far away, leaving her and her brother to flee as they stayed for their kingdoms betterment. Why have they abandoned me when I need them most, she wondered. Just why?

She walked slowly down the halls, wishing she had someone to talk to. Mathias had grown distant, taking up to riding on Lotus or staying closed off in his room. She knew her brother pained but not by what. She wished she could help him, say something to make him feel better. Be there for him when her parents couldn't. She wanted to be strong, but she couldn't find it in herself.

She threw herself on top of her bed as she walked in her room, letting her teary face sink into the soft comfort of her pillow. She let herself give in, opened the dam of her feelings and let out her hurt and her fear. She just wished she could be more than she was.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Night had fallen over Corona Skyletto. The fireplace in Sybil's room had been lit unnoticed by her. She still slumbered on her bed.

A winged figure swooped out of the clouds and towards Corona Skyletto. The wings were at their sides as the angelic figure dive bombed towards the ground. He spread his wings to slow his descent, the wind snapping them back and filling them like hoisted sails.

His pearly black eyes looked over the castle. He pinpointed guards walking about on the iron gate. He could swear that they could feel his presence, if not see it. Archers were readying their bows and others stood alert.

The winged man's eyes flashed menacingly. He would let none stand in his way. It didn't matter that they hadn't called an alarm. They would never get the chance.

Like an arrow from a bow, the figure launched down at the gate. Some guards glanced up and he could see their shocked faces.

The demonic figure slammed down on the gate like a bombshell. The gate creaked under the impact. The guards stumbled as they tried to steady themselves, only managing in pulling their fellow brethren down with them in most cases.

With a pulse of light from around his body, The man let a light suffuse into two brilliant swords in each of his hands, they were of the darkest black. Obsidian black blades gleamed like death itself, the hilts were of the dullest bronze and at the end of the hilt, a silver bulb full of swirling mire, the black-purple substance swirling around in the spheres.

Lloyd cut down the guards on either side of him before taking off into the air once more. He turned full circle to see the men hurrying about. He watched as they prepared for his next aerial assault.

He looked at the now cracked gate in front of him through dark eyes; eyes of doom. He let the darkness take hold of his body.

With a burst of speed, he rocketed upwards. With swift turn in the air, he slammed down onto the gate, swords pointing straight down.

The gate erupted with the smash of metal. Bodies were thrown asunder into the air. The gate crashed to the ground with a force almost unknown.

The harbinger of death stood among the now dead bodies. He calmly walked by the bloody, disfigured corpses of once proud men. None had lived. They had all been crushed by the metal or had died from their collision with the ground.

"This was for her," the demonic figure whispered "for her,"
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A figure stood beside Sybil's bed, looking down at her thin frame. Her chest rose and fell slowly and her hair blew softly from the wind of the open window. The figure softly brushed her hair, unknown to her, letting the blonde strains slide through his spread fingers.

He didn't know what to say. His heart was swelled in his chest, bursting from the joy of just being in her presence. He feared to wake her, in case she was frightened. He didn't know how to tell her of his journey from the dark and back to the light of the world.

He decided he would leave her a note, telling her to meet him in the snowy courtyard in the morning if she still had feelings for him, as he did her.

He placed the note on her night stand and quietly walked over to the window. He let the soft gold light around him arch up his back, before darkening and solidifying into a pair of black wings.

Turning back, he looked at Sybil's slim form one last time before leaping out the window and spreading his wings.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sybil ran through the halls, her legs pounding, her chest heaving. It can't be, she thought mystified. It just can't. But even as she thought it she sprinted to the courtyard to see if it was true.

She slowed as she entered the green eves of her destination. Evergreen plants sprouted all around her. She had always loved sitting here among the nature, it made her feel less isolated, so far from home, as she was. She brushed her hand over the vidum profundendas. Their beautiful green and pink colors were a splash of bright color in all the green; an uniqueness, setting themselves apart from the other plants.

And Sybil saw another contrast, one that set her running to it, tears spilling down her face.

Sybil rushed into Lloyd's open arms and sobbed into his shoulder, nestling against his safe presence.

"Lloyd," she murmured as she held him close.

"Sybil," he whispered, brushing her golden hair. "I'm here now, Sib. And I'm not going anywhere."
***********************************************

DragonDog1: Well, Sybil and Lloyd are reunited. And Lloyd is...different. Their adventures continue! Please comment and vote because your opinions matter to me greatly. Thank you!