35

SUMMER

It's been a few days since Trevor surprised me with our day at Disneyland. And he's seemed off ever since then, and he rarely lets his confidence waver but he's been quiet and saying yes to literally everything I ask.

He's always attentive and sweet but it's been different the last few days. It's like he wants to tell me something but he isn't.

"Trev?" I just got out of the shower, we just got home from the gym and he's in the kitchen.

Honestly, I would not be mad if this was our future. It's like something out of a movie, it's something I never thought I'd have. And I don't wanna loose it, and with Trevor acting so weird it's making me nervous.

"Mhm?" He's more focused on whatever he has going on the stove.

"Can I ask you something?" I pause, standing behind him, "And be real with me, don't sugar coat it."

He turns to look at me over his shoulder, a confused look on his face but he waits for me to continue.

"What's going on with you? Is everything okay?"

Then he smiles, but it's not his usual sweet playful smile, it's a forced one.

Before he can speak I talk again, "And please don't lie."

He pushes his hand through his damp hair, "I uhm," he looks like he's debating on telling me still.

"Is it about us?" I ask nervously.

He snaps his head up to look at me, "No! God, no," he steps towards me, both of his hands reaching for mine.

He takes a deep breath, "I'm flying home for my Mom's birthday next week. I've been avoiding telling you because of all the stuff going on with your mom. And I felt bad not being here for your birthday."

"Trevor," I scoff with a smile, "You shouldn't feel bad, and I already knew about your Mom's birthday party. Hannah told me a few weeks ago, she asked if you were going to come."

"Me going is kind of a surprise, only Dad knows," he smiles proudly, "Are you going to be okay?"

"I'll be fine," I reach up and push back some of his chocolate hair, "Ellie will
be back and I need some girl time," I smile.

He smiles back at me, leaning in to give me a quick kiss.

"I kinda wish I could go," I smile, "I love your family."

"Fuck," he groans, his hands are still on my hips so he gives them a squeeze at the same time, "I should of asked if you wanted to come!"

I muffle a laugh with my hand, "I wouldn't be able to get out of work anyway, we'll plan another trip."

His face lights up, "Christmas in New York?"

I put my hands on his face, pulling it to mine, our foreheads resting together as I smile, "That's the best idea you've ever had!"

TREVOR
JULY

Summer's behind the wheel as she guides the car to the Los Angeles Airport. I keep trying to hold her hand but the girl won't take a hand off the wheel.

"I need to focus on the road," is her reason. So instead I put my hand on her thigh but that gets protested at first but she ends up letting me keep my hand there.

I don't want to leave her. I wish I could just carry her around with me everywhere.

I think I'm just nervous to see my family, not my parents and siblings but all the extended family. They've all heard about Summer now, thanks Hannah, but she won't be there and I know there's going to a million questions on why she's not there.

"You okay?" Summer voice breaks my thoughts.

I look over at her with a smile, giving her leg a squeeze, "I'm good."

"You can tell me you don't wanna leave, because I also don't want you to leave either," this is why I love this girl. It's like she has super powers, she always knows exactly what I'm thinking.

"I just wish you were coming with," I sigh, "Everyone's gonna be like 'Oh Trevor, honey, where's that girlfriend of yours?'," I make my voice high pitched like my Aunt Joy's.

Summer laughs, "Who was that supposed to be?"

"My Aunt Joy, you'd hate her," and I know she would because Aunt Joy is a stay at home mom who thinks working is only for men and she married the most misogynist guy on the planet. How she and my mom came from the same family makes zero sense to me. My mom's a traditional women but she's also a hardworking working women who makes her own money.

"She the one with the daughter who moved to Miami?"

I nod.

My cousin Colleen came out as gay and her parents did not take it that well. At first she moved in with my parents for a while then she moved to Miami where she's now dating this tattoo artist. I wish she was gonna be at this party but I don't blame her for not wanting any part of our family's craziness.

A few minutes later Summer's little silver car is pulling into the drop off line of the airport. When she finds a spot to stop we both get out of the car.

"I love you," Summer looks up at me, the look in her eyes back up her words. She's wearing one of my hockey hoodies, and I love how ironic it is that just a few months ago she said she'd never be caught dead in red and gold and now she lives in this hoodie with 'USC Hockey' painted across the front and my last name and jersey number on the back.

I put my hand on her cheek, "I love you," I give her a quick kiss. She wraps her arms around me.

"Don't leave," her voice is so soft my heart aches.

"Trust me I don't want to," I sigh.

"I can fake an injury so you have to stay," she smiles.

I chuckle, lightly shaking my head.

She kisses my jaw, "Text me when you land?"

I nod, threading my fingers through her silky red hair. I never knew saying goodbye to someone could be so hard until I met Summer. Even just leaving for work sucks, I just always wanna be around her.

"I'll call you," I kiss her gently but she deepens it slipping her tongue into my mouth, making me groan into her mouth. She smiles into the kiss.

"I'm gonna miss my flight," I slowly pull away.

"Good," she kisses me again, but it's shorter.

"Tell everyone I say hi," she says when she pulls away.

"I will," I nod. I kiss her forehead before I start to walk away, "Love you!"

"Love you! Be safe!"