30

TREVOR

A week later I'm in the car with Summer, she's behind the wheel as we leave the USC ice rink parking lot.

We just got dropped from the playoffs. The team played amazing but Arizona State's team was on another level. It was a damn good hour of hockey though, we were tied until the last ten seconds when their captain scored.

We were on a roll. We all thought this was gonna be our year. I feel the worst for our seniors, this was their last shot for a championship win and now it's just over.

Summer's phone starts ringing through the car speaker and I look at the name on the screen, it says Alexa (Playhouse). That's the studio Summer likes, the one that offered her a job.

"Keep your mouth shut," she side eyes me before answering up the call.

"Hi!" Summer smiles.

"Hey, Summer! It's Alexa! I just was calling to see if you thought any more about taking the position here? We'd love to have you join our team," Alexa's voice comes through the car speakers, "But before you say no, there's a second part of the job that I wanna offer you."

"Okay..." Summer hums.

"Our junior dance team needs a coach since Ash is leaving, it would be five nights a week, ballet, contemporary, jazz and tap. Competitions on weekends, travel and rooms are covered by the company. Salary pay, which we can discuss more in person."

So they not only want her to teach a few classes they want her to coach one of her competition teams.

I look over at Summer who looks frozen in place, her eyes are staring at the road and she's holding onto the steering wheel so tightly her knuckles are turning white.

"I...uhm...I don't know what to say," Summer finally speaks.

"You don't need to give me an answer right now, I know that's a lot of new information. But all of us would love for you to join the team, I'll let you think it over, let me know by the end of the week?"

Summer shocks me with what she says next, "Uhm no, yeah I'll do it."

I look over at Summer in disbelieve.

"Really?" Alexa sounds a bit shocked too.

"Yeah," Summer starts to smile.

"Yay! Can you come by tomorrow and we can go over everything?"

"Yeah, I have class during the day and night practice but I should be able to come in between, around three pm if that works?"

"Perfect! I'll see you tomorrow!"

"Thank you! See you later!"

The call ends and the music starts playing again.

"You took it," I'm still looking at her both confused and excited.

"I did," she's smiling so big it's making me smile.

"Why?"

"You."

Huh? Me? What?

We come to a stop at a red light and she looks over at me, "You made me realize I need to do what I love, and that's dance. Coaching these girls is going to be more rewarding then anything."

"But your mom."

Summer told me about her mom's engagement a few days ago, along with just opening up to me more about her family. She doesn't want to go to the wedding but I keep telling her she should. I think she'll regret it and just upset her mom if she doesn't. I even offered to go with her.