Chapter 20: I Can't Do This!!

Camille stared at the person's chest for a few moments before her eyes slowly crept up to see the face of the one who had been standing behind her. Her red-brown eyes grew wide as she stared up into the eyes of someone she never thought would have been there. Instead of the eyes of a stranger or someone she knew and had suspected, amethyst eyes met her's.

With a squeak of surprise, she launched herself backward and stared up at Tamaki Suoh with wide eyes. "What the hell are you doing here?! Where is Haruhi?! Why are you here?!!" She screeched uncharacteristically. She flailed around as she asked questions and started looking around for the rest of the hosts. She suspected that he had brought them all here as some sort of joke as punishment to get back at her for leaving or something like that.

"I know you're probably confused, but I want a chance to explain myself." He said calmly, his tone almost amused as he watched her confusion and surprise course through her body.

Camille sat down on the bench with a huff, crossing her arms under her chest while crossing one leg over the other. "Start talking! You're in a lot of trouble. I'm not very happy with you to begin with."

Her glare was enough to shake his calm demeanor, his body tensing as he looked at the smaller female. He had been hoping she would at least stay confused or even calm in this situation, but she had turned angry. She was really scary when she was angry. Before he could lose his nerve to tell her everything, he moved over to sit next to her. Not at all surprised when she scooted away from him a bit and turned to continue glaring up at him. "I know this looks bad, but I have a really good reason as to why I did what I did."

"Start explaining. Don't leave anything out or I may have to hurt you." Her glare intensified as she looked up at him, narrowing her eyes a bit more. She was mentally preparing herself to have to chop him in the head with her hand like she had seen someone do on television one time. The idea was an idiotic one, but it made her feel better.

Tamaki sighed as he realized she was not about to loosen up in the slightest. He shut his eyes and turned away from her a bit before opening his eyes to look out across the park. "When you first came to the school, I was interested in you. I thought you were intriguing and I wanted to get to know you. When I found out that you were a selective mute, I felt a little discouraged. I wasn't sure how I could get you to agree to being my friend, let alone the others'. Then you practically walked into it on your own." He chuckled slightly and watched as a little kid chased another around the swings. "The more I got to know you, the more I found myself wishing we were closer. Finally getting you to talk to someone, even if it wasn't me, felt like a huge achievement. I was sad when you told us your story and wanted to help you in anyway I could. Then I woke up one morning and realized I had developed more than just friendly feelings for you. When we took that trip and I got to spend the day with you I felt happier than I had in a very long time. When I kissed you and you rejected me, I felt crushed. I started to distance myself from you slowly and then drifted toward Haruhi because I knew she had feelings for me and I had some feelings for her. My feelings for you were and are stronger than I ever will feel for Haruhi, but I felt like you wanted someone else rather than me."

Camille stared at him throughout his entire explanation, her expression slowly going back to one of surprise before becoming neutral as he finished. This was not an elaborate punishment at all. He would never think of something like that, she realized and felt guilty. Looking up at him for a while before he turned to her, she started to question him once more. "So you have been leading Haruhi along this whole time then? You were practically cheating on her by sending me all of those gifts and notes." She sounded a little angry still, not liking that he had used someone like that just because he could not have her. Even with their differences, Camille never wanted someone to hurt Haruhi.

"I explained everything to Haruhi when we got together. She agreed that I should find out if you would ever pick me and even helped me out. Yes, we are affectionate with one another from time-to-time but she knew that there may be a time when I would leave her for you." He sounded a little upset as he explained this, a pained expression on his face as he looked down at his hands clenching in his lap.

"That still doesn't make it right and you should never of agreed to be with her if you were going to do this. I'm disappointed in you." She scolded before she stood up abruptly and walked a few steps away from him. She shut her eyes tightly as she felt hot tears stinging them, trying to keep them from rolling down her cheeks. She clenched her hands as she spun around to continue yelling at him,"I can't do this! I can't be with someone who would do something like this! What if you did that to me? How can I trust you?" She felt the tears sliding down her face as she yelled at him before she added quietly and almost inaudibly,"What if I already love someone else?"

Her eyes opened to see Tamaki staring at her with a dumbstruck look on his face. He kept opening and closing his mouth like a fish. If she had not been angry with him, she might have laughed at how he looked. All she felt right now was disappointment, anger, and betrayal. Before he could form a sentence she turned away again and shook her head,"Just go home, Tamaki. Leave me alone!" With that, Camille ran away. She ran all the way home with tears streaming down her face and questions weighing on her mind.