Thoughtful gift

Summary: Secret santa was a fun thing for the little secret society, they'd done it for a few years, but this year his gift have a bit more thought behind it as its for her

She simply stared at him, her eyes asking if he was truly serious. This was not the reason she had thought he would ask her to come down there—well, to be frank, she had thought all Nightshades were called to their little hideout, not just herself, and not for this reason.

Pinching the bridge of her nose, she wondered if Xavier was for real. He was not supposed to give her the present personally, as it was tradition for the Nightshades to do a sort of "secret Santa" thing. Bianca had promised she would figure out who had y/ns present for her and give it to her the next day—without telling her who it was from, of course—before she went home for Christmas.

"You're not supposed to give it to me; have you not realised that?" "Three years?" y/n asked with a teasing tone while looking up at him.

"Of course I have; I just thought that you were going home so I could just give it to you." He shrugged his shoulders without really thinking much about it all, although his heart did most certainly beat faster and harder in his chest. He would never admit to that, though maybe in his head but not out loud.

"Bianca said she was going to find out which of you got me and get it for me so I could open it when I got home." She was not going to lie; it warmed her heart and cheeks that he wanted to personally give it to her.

"Well, now you have no choice but to open it here." Xavier held out the wrapped present for her to take and could see her suspiciously looking at it.

"Are you nervous I won't like it, Thorpe?" She narrowed her eyes at him, gently taking the present from his hands, and she waited for an answer.

"Me? No."

To be honest, he was terrified. That was because if he read a book for the entire month of November and added his own personal comments on things in it, and then spent another month adding his own take on how the characters looked, only for it all to go down the drain, he would melt like the wicked witch of the west when she got water on herself.

For two months, he had to put up with the teasing from the other guys in the neighbouring dormitories because whenever they decided to play games or something, Xavier would still be there but his nose would be deep into a book the entire time.

"Yeah, right," y/n mumbled as she started to fidget and try to find where to open the present. There was a light smile on her face as she focused on being careful, as always. The limited lighting in the Nightshades society was not the best, which made it even harder.

"Okay, so what if I am?" Xavier asked the question as if it were hypothetical. y/n almost felt like he should have just added hypothetically before, just for her own amusement.

"Relax, when you got me three years ago for this, you honestly got the best gif ever. I doubt you'll disappoint me this time; give your fourteen-year-old self some credit."

Yes, when they were fourteen and had just started this thing back up, doing secret Santa for the first time, Xavier had gotten her something she liked. The only thing different between then and now was that now he had a major crush on the girl before him, and this time he had switched with Ajax to actually get her this year.

He shouldn't have; Xavier knew that, but when he read the name on his note and it said Devina, he sneakily glanced over at Ajax's note, which said y/n. As soon as they got away from the others, he pretty much had to bribe Ajax to switch sides with him. It had cost him three weeks' worth of chores in the dormitories that were assigned to Ajax, but in a way, it was totally worth it.