Meet me under the misletoe

summary in which a "fool-proof" set up leads to a first kiss.

warnings first kiss. fluff.  friends to lovers.

Enid and Ajax have been clearly flirting. though they will deny it to god's end, it's obvious. they clearly have feelings for one another, wednesday even said that thing overheard them talking about it. they just won't admit it to their friends.

however, enid and ajax would say the same about you and xavier.

even so, you and xavier came up with a fool proof plan. right in the doorway of his room, xavier placed mistletoe.

enid and ajax loved these kinds of cliches, as did you. hence the idea. all you had to do was get them to stand under it, and they'd kiss. they'd excuse it as "rules are rules."

the pair of you were sitting on xavier's bed, waiting for the others to arrive. you laid under his arm, scrolling through his phone extremely comfortably. you were really warm and safe there. xavier always made you feel that way.

there was a firm knock on the door, in a rhythm unmistakable to be wednesday.

you opened the door, and she was alone, staring directly at the green and red spring taped to the wood.

"mistletoe?"

"you enid and ajax, obviously," xavier said, mocking her crude tone. wednesday peered up at him, looking more annoyed than usual, and walked in.

"seems good enough. enid definitely is the type to do that."

you agreed, and went back to scrolling with xavier while wednesday read her notes from her most recent mystery.

the next knock was undeniably ajax. you, wednesday, and xavier all exchanged similar looks before you and the artist jumped up to the door.

you laughed as you both reached for the door handle, standing side by side. after a bit of silent bickering, xavier let you open the door and leaned against your back.

enid and ajax were standing scarily close to one another out in the hall. xavier had his goofy smile on his face, standing directly in the door.

you stood closer to him, still not letting the other couple in.

you hadn't really thought this plan through.

"hey, mistletoe!" enid said, pointing directly above your heads.

you almost think you heard wednesday laugh.

"rules are rules," ajax said. "gotta kiss, bros."

you and xavier exchanged another look. you couldn't tell if he wanted to laugh or cry, but he leaned into your ear.

"is that okay?" he asked, loud enough for only you two to hear.

"rules are rules, right?"

you back away slightly, enough for to bring your lips to xavier's.

electricity coursed through your veins. your lips felt like puzzle pieces together. he tasted really nice, warm.

his hands found your hips quickly, and yours went to the nape of him neck and into his hair.

you don't know how long you'd been standing there, but it must've been an embarrassingly long time.

"guys."

xavier pulled away, "shit sorry, come in guys."

enid giggled, slipping between the pair of you with ajax's wrist in her hand.

xavier went to close the door and his arm flew around your shoulders like second nature. like they belonged there. he leaned back down,

"maybe what they say about us is right."

"maybe it is, thorpe," you said smugly, acting as though you disagreed. despite your tone, you leaned closer to xavier's frame. "get that smile off of your face, enid."