VIII - Comeback

"May I ask you something?" he said making me nervous.

"Yeah?"

"Do you feel anything for me?"

Every part of my body seemed to be getting frozen. I couldn't think, I couldn't move, couldn't talk... I'd never expect that question to ever come like that. Not there, not in that moment.

"You don't have to answer that" he continued.

"What do you mean 'feel anything'?" I asked trying to gain more time to think, although nothing would come to my mind immediately.

"As in more than friends"

"Matt, you're my lawyer"

"And we kissed"

"You said I was tipsy" I tried to run away from the main question.

"So, I was right"

"No. Yes. Maybe?"

"I can tell your heart is beating fast"

"Shut up, no you can't 'cause it's not"

My heart was in fact beating faster than ever.

"Why don't you tell me the truth? Come on, Ava. I'm not here to judge, I'm out of the office" he said smiling. "Maybe you should've ordered some wine" he smirked.

"Very funny, Mr. Murdock. Why don't you talk about your feelings since it's so easy to do so?"

"Yeah, sure. I do like you"

  What did he say!?

"You're hilarious! Have you ever thought about getting a job in standup comedy?"

  Matt took off his glasses and got closer to me trying to look serious. "Does it look like I intend to be funny?"

  He was clearly forcing himself not to laugh and only a few seconds later, I couldn't control my own laughter. I spit my drink and we both giggled like two maniacs in a hospice. Every eye was on us.

"I'm just glad we're okay. I was worried about you for being so distant lately and- Maybe I missed you a little bit too" I said still giggling a little acting like he hadn't previously said he liked me.

"I'm sorry about that. I know it must be frustrating to be in that office all day. I've been busy with the case which doesn't really help me manage some time to talk to you" he said after putting his glasses back on.

"You work too much"

"You haven't seen anything"

"Show me" I said in a mysterious way.

"Show you? What exactly do you want to see?" he asked somehow curious.

"I still want to know more about you. You never told me how you always know when someone's behind the door or how you hear extremely well like a dog"

"Yes, I have. I told you I had many years to improve my hearing. And thanks for comparing me to a dog, I guess"

"You may also know I didn't believe you"

"Yeah, I know that too"

"How do you always know everything? Do have any type of power that allows you to see the future?"

"Power? I wish! I'd be rich by now" he laughed.

"Wilson Fisk is now back in business after being clean from all the, now false, accusations regarding multiple crimes in Hell's Kitchen..." we heard coming from the television of the bar.