Part 1: Chapter 21: Combat Camp

Another day and another time for the kids to be pissed at Hop Pop. But they had no other options but to go along with him. They were currently sitting with the old frog on Bessie's saddle as she crawled down the road. All four kids were pouting while Hop Pop whistled.

"I still can't believe you're bringing us to a daycare, Hop Pop." Sprig complained.

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? But I have to go to the Annual Crop Convention. It's a long way away, and I can't leave you kids on the farm alone." Hop Pop told the kids as he drove Bessie.

The kids exclaimed. "What?!"

"Ugh! Are you kidding?" Anne grumbled.

"Wish I was, Anne. But you three kids need supervision. Why, sometimes it feels like we have at least two wacky adventures a week!" Hop Pop said with a haunted expression on his face. And it was true. Every week, they would be running from some kind of monster, almost getting killed by some villain, or just have to deal with the wacky antics that the world had thrown at them.

"Uh, do I need to remind you that I always have to babysit them?" Frank said, looking offended.

"And have you been as successful? You need help with looking after them." Hop Pop told the young boy.

Frank crossed his arms and pouted in his seat. He hated to admit it, but Hop Pop was right. Anne and Sprig weren't exactly easy to keep an eye on and would frequently get into trouble. Though, he himself wasn't an angel either, going along with their wacky adventures.

The snail continued crawling down the road before stopping in front of their destination. In front of them was a home built inside a small hill. But what made it stand up was the bastion towering over it.

"Here we are!" Hop Pop said in relief as the kids looked up at the tower.

The door opened, and out came a light green newt with lighter shaded spots on his tail, dark-purple hair, a short mustache, and a goatee. He was dressed in a prim and proper French style that made the newt look like a teacher. "Greetings, I am Tritonio Espada, the instructor of this daycare." He said in a French accent with a bow.

The kids were unimpressed, while Hop Pop was confused and said, "Huh, I thought Briar and Iris Bogwater ran this place."

"The Bogwaters retired last year and sold their business to me," said the French newt.

It sounded like bullcrap to Frank, yet Hop Pop bought it. "Well, in that case, I'm Hopediah Plantar. This here is Sprig and Polly." He introduced his grandkids, though Polly blew a short raspberry. "Frank and Anne. They may be gigantic, but they're also children."

"Hey!" the two of them exclaimed, offended.

"Ah, yes. I shall educate them! Teach them true discipline!" Tritonio declared as he approached Bessie.

Unimpressed, Frank and Anne got off the snail's shell and walked back to join up with the two young frogs. Leaving Hop Pop to talk with Tritonio. "Oh. I like the cut of your jib, Mr. Tray-tony. Did I say that right?" He asked, mispronouncing the newt's name.

"Absolutely not."

"This isn't so bad, I guess. There is a cool tower." Sprig said to the others, gesturing to the tower.

"You guys don't get it. And Tritonio's a teacher, enemy of all that is good." Anne said to the little frogs.

"Uh, what's so bad about teachers?" The pink frog asked, confused.

"Let's just say, me and them don't mix," Anne said, remembering all those times she'd gotten in trouble because of her teachers. And it all brought up memories of one in particular that made her blood boil. "Especially this one teacher, who I swear is the Devil incarnate. Ever since I entered St. James, she made it her life's mission to make my life a living Hell! She is a monster! A dictator! She is—"