Part 1: Chapter 18: To Serve Frogs

Frank was annoyed. Not at Anne or anyone else, but with how events always seem to turn against him and his friend's journey. Hop Pop said that the mountain pass to leave the valley should have been opened in one week on the day they went to the archives. They've waited for a week now, and they should be getting ready to leave. However, the old frog told them that they'll have to wait yet another month to begin their quest to find a way back home! The reason being is that there's been an update to the weather, and Hop Pop predicted that the pass wouldn't be open for them. Frank and Anne didn't believe the old frog and wanted to see the pass for themselves.

However, just as Hop Pop predicted, the mountain pass that led out of the valley was blocked by a giant wall of ice. In it were tree branches and a massive centipede.

"Well, you two, I don't wanna say I told you so," Hop Pop said.

"Yes, you do," Anne said, unamused

"Okay, you're right. I told you so," he exclaimed and chuckled. "Still gonna be a few weeks before that snowpack melts. We'll have to wait for another month for it to happen."

"But we've been here for two months now!" Frank complained, frustrated that after waiting for as long as they have. "We've waited so long. And getting out of this valley might help me and Anne find answers on how to get home."

"I know it stinks, but how about some careless misadventuring to take your mind off it?" Sprig said to him and Anne. "I think there's a creepy lagoon nearby.:

"Ooh! Think we'll find some bloated remains?" Anne said, disturbingly excited to see dead things.

"Here's hoping," Sprig said, before he and Anne ran off giggling.

Frank rolled his eyes at them and was going to follow when his pant legs were tugged on. He looked down to see Polly smiling up at him. "Come on, Frank. While they're doing that, let's go check out this scary forest," she said, pointing to a sign that led to the Slaughter Forest.

"No, I think I'll pass," Frank said, frowning.

"Eh, suit yourself," Polly said and was about to start hopping to the forest when Hop Pop suddenly picked her up.

"Oh, no, you don't," he said, hopping onto the staddle and placing her on the seat next to him. "You're not going off alone."

Polly groaned and complained by asking, "But why not?"

Hop Pop responded by saying. "'Cause you're a pollywog. You're too young to go off on your own.'"

"But the other kids did!" Polly complained. "They do it all the time!"

"Yeah, that's not a habit you should pick up," Frank said, getting up on the saddle. That's when they heard a creature screeching in the direction Anne and Sprig went off. "Speak of the devils."

Anne and Sprig came running back to the others in a panic. "Go, go, go, go!" They chanted before jumping onto the wagon.

"Quick, get us out of here!" Anne said in a panic.

"What do you two do?!" Frank asked.

"Just drive!"

"Hyah!" Hop Pop quickly drove Bessie out of there and down the road.

As they drove off, Anne and Sprig panted from exhaustion and fear before the girl let out a huge sigh of relief. Frank looked at her and Sprig and said to them, "What the hell happened back there?!"

"Oh, Frank, you would not believe what we saw!" Anne exclaimed, throwing her arms up with a big smile on her face, despite the danger she was in. "Did you know leeches could run so fast?"