Part 1: Chapter One: Frank and Anne

"We must never forget that we may also find meaning in life even when confronted with a hopeless situation, when facing a fate that cannot be changed.

For what then matters is to bear witness to the uniquely human potential at its best, which is to transform a personal tragedy into a triumph, to turn one's predicament into a human achievement.

When we are no longer able to change a situation we are challenged to change ourselves."

-Viktor E. Frankl

...

...

...

...

...

...

"We're not friends! We haven't been friends for a long time!"

...

...

...

Frank Ramirez was suddenly startled awake by the sudden boom of thunder and the flash of lightning. Panting heavily and in panic. He was 13 years old with short brown hair and dark eyes. His clothing consisted of dark-colored pants that had a patch on it left knee, brown boots, and a white T-shirt that was underneath an old m65 field jacket that was given to him by his grandfather before passing away. On his head was a blue baseball hat.

 On his head was a blue baseball hat

Trying to take in his surroundings. But his surroundings were where his confusion and real panic started to kick in.

He was standing in the middle of a jungle. The playground, the city, and the people were all gone. Now surrounding him were giant size trees and bio-luminescent mushrooms that grew on them. There were even enormous lily pads that could cover a human's body. Everything around him was ultimately like being in an alien world with only some familiar traits from Earth.

He looked around and noticed that he was still holding his combat knife. Groaning brought his attention to someone else that was with him in the mud as the rain started coming down on them. When he looked to see who it was, he was shocked to see who it was.

That person was Anne Boonchuy. She was a Thai-American teenage girl around Frank's age. She had a tall height, with a slender build, light brown skin, and messy auburn hair. He could tell that she was from the middle school near his own by the look of her uniform, which consisted of a white shirt with a purple collar and an "SJMS" crest on it, a short purple skirt, a pair of yellow sneakers, and white socks.

Anne lifted up herself from the mud and whipped it off her face. "Anne?" Frank rushed over to her and helped her up. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," she said, before looking around to see the jungle they were in. "Where the heck are we? And where's Sasha and Marcy?"