playing the game with her

Kazuichis pov

"Gah can't sleep" I grumbled to myself as I stepped outside my cottage. I knew it was dangerous to step outside at night but I need fresh air before I go stir crazy!

My eyes landed on the cottage next to me. Hajime's icon sat outside on a sign. I ran my fingers over the sign. We could have been neighbours, best friends even but because of one selfish bastard he had to die.

My thoughts were cut off by mahiru leaving the cottage. She didn't seem to notice me as she headed to the second island. Odd. Maybe I should follow her and make sure she's ok.

*Time skip*

I followed closely behind her, trying my best not to be seen. She stopped in front of the arcade machine. She wouldn't-

"Mahiru?" I came out of the shadows.

She jumped and spun around "kazuichi I didn't see you there" she looked away guiltily.

"Why mahiru. I thought we all agreed that we wouldn't play this game" I felt hurt that she'd go behind my back like this. I thought she trusted me.

"I'm sorry. I just.. need some answers" she looked to the side deep in thought. Clearly something was on her mind and I intended to find out.

"Ok then" I placed a hand on my shoulder with a kind smile "then let's play it together"

"Thanks kazuichi. You have no idea how much this means to me" she nodded greatfully before booting up the game.

We played through some levels and like monokuma said it was a murder mystery. The girls found a body and all agreed not to report it in fear of getting into trouble. After that scene we got a game over screen.

"Damnit that gave us nothing" mahiru slammed her fists down angrily.

"Hold on" I stepped in front and as the game said pressed down five times. Just like that a new level booted up.

"Kaz you're a genius" she pulled me into a hug before quickly backing away "but don't tell anyone I said that"

"Totally" I scratched my neck awkwardly.

As the game progressed we learnt that girl E wasn't as innocent as she let on and were even introduced to the dead students brother guy F who most likely killed girl E in some twisted revenge.

"Wow that's heavy" I muttered. Mahiru was strangely silent "are you ok"

"Yeah!" She said quickly.

"Now who's bottling up their emotions" I folded my arms.

"You're right" she sighed "listen kaz I really appreciate you being here for me but I need to be alone with my thoughts"

"Ok see you tomorrow" I said as she walked back to the cottage. I wonder what that was about?