Bite: What should we do now? (1)

~Your PoV~

After the mission to restock the supply base, your life in the Survey Corps went on as normal.

You and your fellow comrades who were on the mission were personally asked by Commander Erwin for a one-on-one meeting to describe the events of the previous night. At the same time, you were again asked to maintain absolute secrecy. However, it was of course only a matter of time before such big news made it to the public. While you and the other experienced soldiers kept quiet as ordered, it was a different story for others.

Whether it were recruits, who wanted to brag about what they had experienced or wounded soldiers, who were not in their best state of mind, soon everyone knew who was responsible for the mission failing the way it did, even though there was never any confirmation from the officers.

Further, because no one was allowed to talk about the real cause of the failed mission, Thomas had to take full responsibility. The official story is that you were attacked by a horde of Titans because you were surprised by dawn due to the fact that Thomas lost the watch and didn't tell anyone about it.

Even though it was a bit unfair to Thomas, he just accepted the situation, seeing himself as guilty and partly responsible for the failure. And you couldn't deny that you didn't feel a little bit like that too.

You were on your way to the training ground for your joint extra training with Eren when Ymir stops you. "Ah, (Y/n), good to meet you. Don't you remember? I put away the boxes you forgot. I think it's time you clear your debt."

You look at her a little puzzled before remembering what she was talking about. "Clear my debt? Fine, what do you want?"

"You're pretty chummy with the commanding officers. Make sure Christa and I are on the same team during the expedition."

"Huh, you have no idea what you're talking about. I can't interfere with the planning of the expedition," you countered, arms crossed.

Ymir continued to remain deadlocked. "Then come up with something."

"Forget it. I'm not keen on losing my position because of you. Besides, after that thing with the Armored Titan, there's more going on than before anyway. Maybe they'll postpone the expedition or not bring along the new cadets," you finally say. You knew that the Armored Titan matter was supposed to be kept secret, but if everyone in the Survey Corps knew anyway, you were sure that someone like Ymir, who pocked her nose into every matter that could somehow give her an advantage, would know about it first.

"So it's really true that you met the Armored Titan..." she says a bit in thought, yet not surprised, confirming your assumption from before.

"Yes, every single word.", you confirm again with a nod.

"It's good that you survived. After all, it would be a shame if you died without clearing your debt," Ymir says with her usual cynical undertone. By now you had learned to ignore that and understood that what she actually meant was that she was glad you survived.

"Hey, (Y/n)!" Your conversation is interrupted when Eren approaches.

Ymir proceeded to do the talking for you. "He, Eren. This is a private conversation. Back off."

"I hardly need to ask you for permission to who I can talk to, Ymir!", Eren, of course, immediately replied angrily. However, you also couldn't deny that Ymir was once again being rude.

"Don't be like that," you say with a roll of your eyes to Ymir before turning to Eren, "What do you want, Eren?"

"It's time for our training, right? You weren't at the training ground, so I went looking for you."