Momentous Offer: Eve of the Counterattack (5)

~Your PoV~

After being on a mission with the survey corps, you arrive back at the barracks. It was already late, and you went to bed without further ado. Originally you had planned to look for Felix, but it was too late for that now, and you couldn't drag him out of bed. That would have made things much worse in the end.

The next day dawned, and you were finally able to talk to Felix. While you were looking for him, you were approached every now and then by your comrades from the 104th cadet corps who wanted to know if it was true that you had already moved out with the survey corps. It was all pretty normal, from horror to wishing you luck, to praises, everything was there. Except for the conversation with Mikasa, which was kind of... strange.

"Oh, (Y/n), it's you. Armin told me that you had moved out with the survey corps," she addresses you.

"Yes, yesterday," you confirm shortly. You thought that would be the end of this conversation, and you could continue looking for Felix, but it wasn't.

"So how's Eren doing? Has that gnome done something to him?!" she overwhelms you with concern for Eren. Somehow you should have guessed that. After all, Mikasa wouldn't be Mikasa without her concern for Eren.

"He seemed to be doing fine. If you want, I'll keep an eye on him when I should be with the survey corps again...", you suggest, since you could already guess that that was what she was getting at, and you wanted to continue looking for Felix as soon as possible. You didn't have time for that.

"Thanks. I don't know what I'd do without your connections to the survey corps," she smiles faintly.

"You're welcome. All right, I'll be going." You want to get out of this quickly.

"Goodbye. And you have to tell me immediately if there is something wrong with him. Remember - until I get back to him, you're his guardian angel," she says her goodbyes.

"Yes, I will. Bye.", you finally walk away.

 "Great, I didn't want that job...," you mutter to yourself, unheard by others. You had assured Mikasa in a few seconds that you were pledging your life to Eren, if anything happens to him now you're as good as dead...

~°•°•°•◇•°•°•°~

After half an hour of searching, you finally found him. You had the feeling he was avoiding you on purpose, and you weren't entirely wrong.

"Felix! There you are! I've been looking for you!" you approach him. He was sitting under a tree, near the training ground, writing in his diary, which he still maintained thoroughly.

Felix winced at your voice. "(Y-/n), is everything all right with you? I heard you were out with the survey corps."

"Yes, I helped fight the Titans outside the Wall. It was part of the recapture of Trost, even though I found it a bit pointless... But it was certainly good training for the scouts.", you smile at him.

"Y-yes...", he replies nervously as he avoids your gaze.

"Felix, is something wrong?" you ask about his well-being. You hope it was simply because he's worried about Eren, or because he was embarrassed that he vomited in front of everyone.

"So... I've been wanting to ask you something for a while, (Y/n)..." he says hesitantly. It almost seemed like he was afraid of you.

"I'm all ears, Felix. Go ahead and ask," you reply.

"It's about... I want to know...well..." he can't find the words until the question bursts out of him, "I want to know what you're hiding!"

The smile instantly disappeared from your face. "I don't know what you're talking about..." you try to dismiss it, which of course doesn't work.