Goodbyes, the real ones

I sat on the steps in front of the church. Everyone else was inside, talking, eating, enjoying the company. I had an overwhelming amount of people give me condolences and after about the 20th one I drew the line and left.

It wasn't long before Denis followed carrying with him a large plate of food. I shook my head. The sight of him always eating comforted me somehow.

"You're leaving soon." It wasn't a question, merely him just stating the unavoidable.

"Yeah," I whispered. I heard the door open behind us again. Callahan sat on my other side. He nodded towards Denis who said hello back.

"It's going to be okay kid, I know its hard, but it'll get better."

I nodded but didn't say anything. I watched as Denis cleared his plate within minutes.

"They're excited to have you." Callahan told me.

"And they seem nice, and I know they're family, its just they aren't my parents."

"Plus they're like super weird." Denis chimed in. I smiled at my hands.

"It makes them interesting and I'm sure they'll grow on me... after time."

"I'm sure you will, and that school sounds cool."

"Don't remind me chief. I already know that's going to be the worst. Trying to fit in at a new school."

"Oh please, you'll be fine." Denis said, as if I were the most popular, most cool person in school.

"You are aware you are my only friend right? I don't like new people..." I looked over at Denis and raised my eyes. 

"Right, sorry." I shoved his shoulder lightly and smiled. My face felt puffy and my eyes hurt when I blinked. It all hurt so bad. I didn't understand what I did to deserve this, what my parents did to deserve this.

I shook my head and pushed my hair out of my face. I was still trying to wrap my head around the fact that within the next hour I would be on a cross country trip away from everything I loved.

"It's upsetting, I know, trust me. You'll have a good time." The door opened and my family came out. I stood up and turned to them.

"Are you ready to go dear?" Morticia asked. Wednesdays eyes bored into me once again. I nodded.

"Yeah, I'll meet you over there in one second." She smiled and took Gomez's hand, leading them all towards the car.

I turned to Denis. He was crying now, I wanted to make fun of it, I really did, but I started crying too and reached my arms out to him. He squeezed me into a hug and we stood crying into each others shoulders for I don't know how long.

Once he finally let go I smiled at him.

"Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone. I'll come visit as soon as I can. And if anything happens with your love life I better be the first to know." 

He chuckled and nodded, tears still streaming down his face. He sat back down on the steps and wiped them with his sleeves.

I looked over at the car, they were all watching me out the window. They quickly turned away when they noticed me watching and I smiled.

I walked over to Callahan and sighed. He pulled me into a hug and I began crying again. It was crazy how I had just met this man a week ago and he already became such an important part of my life. 

"Listen kid, everything will be fine. I'm going to find out who did this." I nodded into his chest. "I wrote my phone number in your notebook, you better keep in touch okay."

I pulled away from him.

"I will... and I just, I wanna say thank you so much for all of your help."

"It was my pleasure, you're a good kid, now go on, get to know them. Your gonna have fun."

"Promise?" He laughed and a tear trickled down his cheek.

"Cross my heart and hope to die, Kid." I smiled and waved to Denis one more time.

I turned around and walked away from the both of them. The driver the called Lurch opened the door for me and I scooted in next to Wednesday. On the inside I realized it definitely was a renovated Herse.

"Are you ready?" Gomez asked this time. Morticia smiled.

"Yeah, I'm ready." They signaled to Lurch to begin driving, and off we went. I felt something crawl into my lap and smiled a little when I saw Thing.

"I can see you two are going to get along great." Morticia smiled at me and I nodded. "I hope we all get along very well."

"I hope so too." I heard my cellphone ping from in my bag. I pulled it out and laughed quietly.

It was Denis...

I miss you already <3