Foreign

"Sorry," a voice says politely, "I did not mean to startle you." "Who are you?" I ask seriously. "Just a guest," a male voice responds, "and you?" "I guess it does not matter then," I say mysteriously. "Fine," he says and walks away.

"Princess Anthurium," one of my guards' shouts. And I come into view. "God help us, Your Highness," the other guard shouts and falls to the ground. "What happened?" I ask with fear in my eyes. "An attack on the castle," the other guard says with fear in his voice, "and on the Queen." My face pales as I pick up my skirt and run into the castle but I am stopped by my guards.

My father looks at me with love but he shouts, "Keep her under guard in her room! The same goes for Aster and Magnolia!" Once in my room, fear builds up inside me and I make my way to my projects. I finish them in a few hours and then stare at the ceiling while my guards watch me.

"Did you see anything outside?" one of them asks me with concern. I nod, "He said he was a guest but I did not see him." "Well, there is a guest," one of the guards says kindly, "the attack on the castle is the attack on the Queen, Your Highness. She was poisoned." I sigh deeply, "Is this because I am back?" "Possibly but there is a plan in place already," one of the guards' says honestly, "you are to be Queen if your parents die. It does not matter what anyone argues." I nod with fear in my heart.

Only the next day does my teacher come and grade my work so I can, now, move to more specific subjects. The testing takes place at home since the royal family is confined to the home for a short period of time. I finished quickly with the basics, in less than a month, and once I take the test for specifics, my teacher gasps and runs out of the room.

My father walks in and smiles at me, "It is official. You have scored higher than my son so you are next in line." I tense but he hugs me.

"You are, officially, going to of the same rank as your parents now," he says kindly. I smile and nod. He attempts to leave. "How is mother?" I ask out of concern. "She is fine," he says kindly, "it is your duty to finish your studies so you can be taken seriously and mine to run the country until that time." I nod as he walks out the door.

Later, as I attempt to choose fifteen subjects to focus on, I hear my guards shuffling outside.

"Princess Anthurium," one of them says politely, "it is time for dinner and the guests will be joining. His Majesty requests that you dress appropriately." "Thank you," I say from the other side of the door.

Soon, I am dressed in a light blue puffy dress with my hair flowing down to my shoulders. Once I am about to enter, I notice my brother and sister rushing to come before me. I allow them to cut ahead but I notice their dull clothing and I feel hurt inside my heart for them.

They are announced and head inside.

I hurry to go find my father and once I do, I see that he is waiting by my door. I hurry towards him and he smiles.

"Ready?" he asks and I nod. "Are our guests there already?" I ask him out of curiosity and just as he is about to reply.

I hear, "His Majesty, King of Freesia and His Highness, Prince of Freesia."

As we come closer to the steps, I notice everyone staring at me intensely.

"His Majesty, King Peony and Her Highness, Princess Anthurium," the man announces loudly.

We descend, arm-in-arm, and then separate.

I sit at my father's right as my mother is not present. My siblings are moved as the king sits to my father's left and the prince to my right. Then, my brother to the king's left and my sister to the prince's right.

I notice that they look alot like me but that can happen for no reason.

"What brings you here?" my father asks them politely. "We come to congratulate you on finding your daughter," the King replies, "and to introduce ourselves. I am King Cosmos and this is my brother, Prince Radley." "Are you sure you did not come to prove that you can find my daughter better than I?" my father asks them with annoyance. "Never," King Cosmos replies, "Only to honor our agreement. Me with Magnolia or Anthurium, my brother with Anthurium or Magnolia or Aster with my sister." All of us look at my father.

He sighs deeply and says, "Come to the ball that we will be throwing this Sunday, first. As I have matters to attend to and then we can discuss this matter." The King nods without questioning my father.

I study as hard as I can as the days lead up to Sunday. The guests barely see me until I take a walk in the gardens in the afternoon.

My guards by my side and Kris walking about in the garden nearby.

"Princess Anthurium," I hear someone call my name and I notice the young prince behind me. "Prince Radley," I say in recognition of his presence as I sit by the nearby fountain.

He walks towards me and sits nearby me. I sigh deeply but my guards stand nearby but far enough to not hear what we are talking about. Kris notices as well but stays away.

"How is it being back?" he asks me kindly. "Different," I say honestly. He smiles, "No one knows what happened to you there?" I tense but shake my head as I look at the green grass and flowers, trying to hide my emotions. He looks at my expression, "Sorry, I did not mean to..." "Just drop it," I say seriously and he nods.

One of my guards comes closer and says, "His Majesty has requested you in his study." I nod, excuse myself and make my way to my father's study.

Once I arrive, I notice King Cosmos and curtsy slightly. My father smiles at me and gestures for me to sit by him.

"Speak your mind, Cosmos," my father says politely. "I will," King Cosmos says politely, "I would like to know who is the heir as I need to know how to ask about the proposals before Sunday." My father tenses once again, "Have you not figured it out?" "I just want reassurance," King Cosmos says seriously. "It is Princess Anthurium," my father says with annoyance. The King nods, "Then she is not an option for me but for my brother." My father is hiding his anger within himself.

The King rises so me and my father copy.

"I hope we can have peaceful relations," King Cosmos says to me politely. I do not react and my father smiles at me.

My father and I exchange glances but do not speak as we leave the room. My guards are waiting for me nearby.

As Sunday arrives, I dress up in a silver dress that is puffy.