A Bird In A Cage

Once I get into my room, I fall to the ground just by my door. I lean against my room door and sob uncontrollably.

I get that I have to do certain things because of who I am but it seems I am always stuck and forced to do the things others want me to do. Once the sun rises, my choice will be made for me and I will have to get engaged to someone in a year.

Knock knock

I sigh deeply, "Who is it?"

"Kris, Your Highness," he says kindly and I smile, open the door and let him in.

"What happened?" he asks kindly. "I expect expectations," I say seriously, "I knew that when I found out my true identity but I never expected to be the heir and to be forced to...get engaged and possibly married to someone. I do not even know if I want to get married...after everything."

He listens quietly, "So why not tell your father this?" "He does not know the whole story yet," I remind him and he nods, "so he will not understand. Anyways, would a guy even want me after being with so many guys? Like I would have to explain such things before getting into something with someone because I cannot lie to them."

He nods, "My mother felt the same way, Your Highness. Remember her story?" I nod. "Well," he says honestly, "she did not say the whole truth. It was not only one guy but many guys. The one guy was just highly protective and wanted her to himself so he stole her. Dad loved her despite this and, yes, he had a past too but if someone really loves you..." I nod, "Then they will get past it."

I hug him tightly and head to bed once he leaves my room.

In the early hours of the morning, the meeting convenes once again.

My father looks at me and sighs as everyone looks at him, "I think it is Princess Anthurium's choice and not mine to make." I gulp and look at him with wide eyes, "Uhm...I have given it some thought and decided that I...agree with your point of view so I agree to your terms."

My father, mother and Aster smile brightly as well as a few others in the crowd of Dukes and Duchesses but Magnolia looks sour.

"I would just like to announce that, as usual," my father says, clears his throat and continues, "some royals from around the world might join at some point in the season and I look forward to seeing you all starting January."

Everyone leaves for their homes soon after and the preparations start so as to arrive a few days before the season starts.

I am, currently, sitting on my bed with Kris as maids run around me.

"Your Highness, this dress?" they ask or "Your Highness, what is this?" they ask as they run around. I just get to nod or shrug as they solve my problems.

Days go by fast as most of my days go with studies and packing. I catch up on two years in the last six months and just stay to myself. Aster talked sometimes but Magnolia has outright avoided me.

Soon, it is time to travel and that is when I find out we have stables.

A carriage awaits my father and mother to travel in with me. My siblings are separately placed in another carriage and a whole other two-to-three other cars are behind us filled to the brim with baggage.

The travel down the mountain begins as we make our way with the castle behind us and the mountains on both our sides. We make our way to Azure first and the kids being introduced will be announced there.

A day later, we arrive to stay for a week.

My guards are beside me as Kris walks beside me chattering about the day.