A Race to the Sea

Once I get up, I get dressed in my riding gear and attempt to make my way to breakfast but when I open my door I find Radley about to knock.

He scratches his head nervously, "I guess this is not a good time." I shake my head, "We can talk on the way." He nods, "Who is Kyle?" Fear builds inside me as I look at Radley and say, "He is...someone I knew a while ago that was not a very nice person."

Radley looks at me with confusion as we make our way through the halls and towards the kitchen for a quick snack before going to the stables.

"Was he one of your captors?" He asks curiously. "He was the son of my captor," I say seriously as my palms sweat. My guards are following, closely, behind and I notice the officer watching me as we enter the kitchen.

She comes up to me and curtsies. "Your Highness," she says to me, "please stay safe today." I nod and thank her as I grab an apple before heading to the stables.

Radley still seems distant. "Did you...?" He attempts to ask and I glare at him. "No," I say seriously, "I didn't like him. Please stop asking questions. We are not close enough for you to know anything that personal about me."

I storm off and he runs after me.

"I'm sorry," he says seriously, "I really am. My brother assumed something and I listened to him without getting your opinion but I decided to ask to confirm his suspicions." I shake my head, "This shows how little we know each other...and don't be sorry, don't do it again."

I walk towards the crowd that has gathered and wait patiently for some to arrive.

I walk up to my mother to see whether my father has told her anything but she, warmly, embraces me.

"I haven't seen much of you these past few days," she says with smile, "it's good, though, to make a priority of knowing the people." I smile, happily, "Thanks mother." I look at my siblings chatting away and make my way over to them.

Magnolia rolls her eyes, "I will beat you today." I laugh, "That's okay. I will try my best." She scoffs at me as my brother watches the confrontation.

"Can't you guys give each other a chance," Aster says seriously as he looks at Magnolia, "you might find that you have a lot in common and that you are great friends." Magnolia sighs, "The things is...she just barges in and takes your place." "Why are you upset for me?" Aster asks her seriously, "it is her birthright." I smile at him and look at Magnolia for confirmation. She shrugs, "I just feel like it's a bit unfair." "And if she was here her entire life?" He asks her, "would it be unfair then?" She shakes her head, "Probably not." "It's not her fault she was taken away," Aster says kindly, "don't let that stop you from respecting her and viewing her as someone who was supposed to always be here." She nods, "Fine...but I'm still going to beat you." I laugh and smile at her, "We shall see."

Soon, everyone is gathered together but my father came last with the Duchess and her husband.

"Here are your horses," Duchess Inca says kindly, "the sun will shine soon so we must ride fast to get there quicker otherwise the journey will be too long." Everyone gets on their horses.

I feel a sense of relief as Magnolia smiles at me. I know it's too soon to trust but it's better than nothing.

Everyone starts galloping across the green grass that litters the floor. As the early afternoon sets in, we arrive at the edge of No Man's Land so we all stand in a straight line, side-by-side. Then the race begins as we swerve around each other on the beach.

I pass my mother, the Baroness of Aureolin, Duke Lantana, the King of Freesia and the Dukes' of Sarcoline and Gamboge. The Australian Brumbles gallop ahead with fierceness as I continue to make my way up the ranks. I pass the Baron of Aureolin, my father, my brother, Lord Darion, Baron Dune, Lord Dillon and the Duchess of Sarcoline. I continue fighting my way as we get closer to the lake that signals the end of the race. Past the Baroness, Marquess, Lady Allegra, Honorable Lucinda and then I struggle to fight my way past others as I cannot seem to get past.