Kindness

The very next day, I wake up groggily and dress up in clothes that is light but warm enough as well because of the treacherous journey to the countryside. We will be staying by the Marquess and his family as Duke Loyd decided that was the best place towns to visit. It takes a days journey to travel there and once we arrive, we go straight into the towns nearby with our travel clothes on. Our luggage has all been tranferred to the Marquess home and is being packed as we speak.

As we enter the town, I realise that we are walking through ruins.

"No one lives here anymore," Duke Loyd says sadly, "it is filled with bad memories, so most of them have filtered themselves into tribal homes that are scattered across the lands. In just the Marquess' area, there are about 10-20 tribes depending on the weather or on marriage allliance, but all of them have decided to...never fight over land again. If ever there is a disagreement, they tend to just share it or make some sort of marriage alliance to work around the issue."

Everyone nods. Even though I listen carefully, my heart looks at the horrors that play out in the ruins as the shadows dance and the wind howls while the walls tell a story.

"Why did this happen?" I ask with sadness in my eyes and he smiles at me. He sighs, "Finally,...someone asked. Uhhhh...it is a story to tell is it not. Let's just say that havoc broke loose when the country found out about the fact that their children were being stolen for the worst of reasons and a civil war broke out right here....." My father interrupts, "It's the day that we lost the whole noble family in Sable. It's the day when you went missing. It was just war and bloodshed as everyone showed how they truly felt about the loss of children."

My tears fell as I stare at the ruins and think about the fact that Orpheus ruined not only me, not only children but an entire nation including my closest family members.

"So," I say shakily, "is that why there are no nobles in Sable?" My father nods, "I lost everyone that day and everything. We all did." I walk over to my father and give him a hug. I have just come to realise how much pain everyone in life carries and how much they hide from the world around them as I hug my father tightly. The memories must haunt him like mine haunt me.

As we continue walking to the tribes, I remember what my father told me about the closest relatives having the duty to protect their leader no matter the cost of their lives and I realise that Orpheus stealing me was the real reason why he lost all those family members. They went after him because they knew, but they come up short.

My heart aches but we continue walking and we arrive to a beautiful scene.

"They live in the trees?" I ask and Duke Loyd nods. "Trees, the ground, the beach, the sea, everywhere," he concludes as he smiles at the group.

"Your Highness," a little girl with green and brown eyes curtsies as her brown wavy hair falls to her feet in a plaite, "can you climb?" I smile brightly at her, "I have never tried to climb a tree but I am sure you can give me pointers." My father gives me a warning look as if reminding me that I am pregnant and I mouth, "Don't worry." He smiles nervously.

The other nobles use the makeshift stairs available to them while I climb the traditional way without a misstep. She pulls me along once we reach the highest point.

"Baba," she shouts and a tall man makes his way out of the room, "تسلقت الشجرة.(She climbed the tree)." Her father smiles, "Now, Amirah, you know you are not allowed to speak in another language when we have guests." "Sorry Baba," She says apologetically. I laugh at her cuteness, "It is nice to meet you sir." He smiles at me, "I am called رئيس (Ra'ees) or leader as will this little one in the future." "Oh," I say curiously, "so you have a good system then?" He nods, "Glad to see you made it safely up here with that extra weight. I am glad you didn't fall otherwise the death of the heir would have been on my shoulders." My smile disappears and I tense, "How?" "When you live out here long enough," he says with a smile, "you learn things like that, but I need you to know something very important that I have told Loyd. You are nothing special until you prove it to be. So, what is your name?" "Anthurium," I say kindly and he nods. "Nice to meet you Anthurium. My daughter and I have other guests to welcome if you would like to join us," he says politely as we make our way down the steps towards the wooden floors where most of the people are walking about.