15. Paradox psychosis

"Love will always catch up to you, even when time does not know how"

---

"Are you kidding me?" The Handler asked as she put her hands on the edge of her desk "You said I could hire my own team" Lila said "Yes, but I didn't mean him, for God's sake. I meant Jane. If you don't see the problem with hiring you-know-who's brother, then you're not ready for that badge" The Handler pointed at Lila.

"I'm sorry, but I really need to get going" Diego said "Shut up!" both Lila and The Handler said out loudly.

"I can't do this job if you don't trust my instincts" Lila said "Sweetheart, your vagina needs glasses. He's not worth it" The Handler said "Mum! Oh my God" Lila said before she took a deep breath "This may shock you, but not everyone here likes you" she said "Sounds ridiculous, but go on" The Handler said "You need fresh blood loyal to us and not the old regime. I've seen Diego in the field. He is so much better trained than most of the assholes here. Why waste that when we can use it? He'll be my personal responsibility" Lila said.

The Handler leaned forwards and opened her cigarette box before looking at Diego who smiled tightly and fakely at her.

"You know, your brother Five and his friend Jane and I...we have quite...a colorful history" The Handler said "My brother has beef with everybody, me included and also Jane at the moment" Diego said.

"Let me ask you something" The Handler said as she grabbed her lighter before lighting it "When you're looking down the barrel of a gun, where do your loyalties lie, with your family or your principles?" she asked "With me" Diego said causing The Handler to rise an eyebrow "I don't belong to anybody" he said before he turned to Lila "Especially Lila" he said.

"That I can work with. Rum him through orientation, fill out his start paperwork" The Handler said causing Lila to smile "But...if he ruffles even one feather, you will kill him yourself. Understood?" The Handler said "Thanks. Mum" Lila said.

---

Five had being in the room all night. Luther was asleep on the couch while Jane was sitting on the chair, looking down at her nails.

Her plan was actually to pack her things and find another place to live, but it was like she couldn't get herself to leave.

Suddenly the sound of a fridge opened and soft rattling was heard causing Luther to wake up and Jane to look up.

"Five?" Luther asked and he let out a softly grunt as he got up from the couch while Jane stood up from the chair.

"Shit" Luther said as he walked towards the kitchen.

"Five?" Jane asked as she saw Five without his blazer on standing over by the fridge drinking a large bottle of water. He was pouring down the water, like he was in a hurry.