16. Infinite Switchboard

"It's not our abilities that show us who we truly are, it is our choices"

---

Diego was walking right next to Lila "It's really big place. Do not get lost" Lila said "Or what? You'll kill me?" Diego asked "Oh, you still mad about that, you big baby?" she asked as they walked down the stairs "No, I love being drugged and kidnapped and threatened with murder" he said "Okay, well, let's just make sure you're the best agent possible, and no one has to worry about who kills who, okay?" she said "Wait, Lila, I need to get outta here" he said as he stopped her from walking "Relax" she said "No, I do not have time for this now" he said "We hall all the time in the world" she said before she started walking again.

"What is it you people do here, exactly?" he asked "Oh, that's the best part. We protect the timeline. You know all that lone wolf superhero shit? Tiny taters compared to what you could do here" she said as the two walked down the hallway "Hold up, tiny taters, so The Commission controls time?" he asked as he grabbed her arm, stopping her from walking.

"Wait, like, everything in time?" he asked "Or more like we maintain the correct timeline, but, basically, yeah" she said "How the shit do you do that?" he asked and she smiled "Well, come on, I'll show you" she said before she entered a room and he followed.

"Dropping off a new recruit" Lila said to a woman who was the instructor "Welcome to orientation" the woman said before she grabbed a small book "Take this" she said as she handed it to Lila.

"Wait a second--" Diego said as he followed after Lila to an empty small table, like school seat.

"Okay" Lila said "Open your welcome package and grab a seat. All questions will be answered at the end of the film" the instructor said.

"How long is this" Diego ask Lila "Sit your ass down" the instructor said.

Diego put the small book on the desk before sitting down "A better tomorrow comes from an orderly today" the woman over PA said.

"Uh..." Lila said as she put her hands on Diego's table before she leaned closer to him "I really need this to work, so...don't screw it up. Okay, bye" she said and press her lips against his before leaving.

The light then turn off before the film started and a cartoon talking briefcase appeared on the projection screen "Oh, hi there. I'm Mr. Briefcase. If you're watching this presentation, that means you've made the best decision of the rest of your life. You've decided to join The Commission" the briefcase said and Diego tried his best out to laugh.

"Over the next 90 minutes, I'm gonna do my best to show you around this old place" the briefcase said as the projection screen showed the inside of The Commission.

"You and I are gonna have some fun together. Here at The Commission, you'll find a wide array of exciting career opportunities just waiting to be discovered. Which department will be right for you?" the briecase said before the screen showed the place where the analyst was working "Analyst: keeping us informed" the briefcase said before the screen showed the place where the Operations trained "Operations: keeping us safe" the briefcase said before the screen showed the infinite Switchboard "Infinite Switchboard operator: the key to everything we do here. In these rooms, we monitor the entire timeline and report any anomalies we see along the way, keeping the correct timeline at all times" the briefcase said as Diego leaned forward a bit.