THE 100% TALENT SHOW

POV: Sophie

She stared at the iron plate on her bed gobbed with soggy gruel and pig’s feet. After three days of starvation, she knew she had to eat whatever ghastly lunch the school sent up, but this was worse than ghastly.

This was peasant food. This is what Shira should be eating, not her. She flung her plate out the window.

“You don’t know where I might find cucumbers in this place?” Sophie said, turning.
Hester scowled across the room. “The Goose. How’d you do it?”

“For the last time, Hester, I don’t know,” Sophie said, stomach rumbling. “It promised to help me switch schools, but it lied. Maybe it went batty after laying so many eggs. Do you know of a garden nearby with some alfalfa or wheatgrass or—”

“You talked to it?” Hester blurted, mouth full of oozing pig’s feet.
“Well, not exactly,” Sophie said, nauseous. “But I could hear its thoughts. Unlike you, princesses can talk to animals.”

“But not hear their thoughts,” said Dot, slurping gruel that looked chocolate flavored. “For that, your soul has to be a hundred percent pure.”
“There! Proof I’m 100% Good,” said Sophie, relieved.

“Or 100% Evil,” Hester retorted. “Depends on if we believe you or if we believe the stymphs, the robes, the Goose, and that wave monster.”

Sophie goggled at her and burst into sniggers. “100% Evil? Me? That’s preposterous! That’s lunacy! That’s—”

“Impressive,” Anadil mused. “Even Hester’s spared a rat or two.”
“And here we all thought you were incompetent,” Hester sneered at Sophie. “When you were just a snake in sheep’s clothing.”
Sophie tried to stop giggling but couldn’t.

“Bet she has a Special Talent that blows ours away,” said Dot, munching what looked to be a tiny chocolate foot.
“I don’t understand,” Sophie snickered. “Where does all the chocolate come from?”

“What is it?” Anadil hissed. “What’s your talent? Night vision? Invisibility? Telepathy? Fangs filled with poison?”
“I don’t care what it is,” Hester snarled. “She can’t beat my talent. No matter how villainous she is.”
Sophie laughed so hard now she was weeping.

“You listen to me,” Hester seethed, fist curling around her plate. “This is my school.”
“Keep your crummy school!” Sophie hooted.
“I’m Class Captain!” Hester roared.
“I don’t doubt it!”
“And no Reader is going to get in my way!”
“Are all villains this funny!”

Hester let out a mad cackle and flung her plate at Sophie, who dove just in time to see it tomahawk into the Wanted poster on the wall and slice off Robin’s head. Sophie stopped laughing. She peeked over the scorched bed at Hester, silhouetted against the open door, black as Death. For a second Sophie thought her tattoo moved.

“Watch out, witch,” Hester spat, and slammed the door.
Sophie looked down at her shaking fingers.
“And here we thought she’d fail!” Dot chimed behind her.

POV: Shira

Shira felt that she could have done something besides running to the towers and accidentally destroying them.

After the fire, she was locked in her room for two days, while worried what else her punishment was, she was glad to have time for herself to practice her music and dance.

When her roommates came back after each day they told her the towers were fixed and that no one blamed her, that they would have done the same thing.

Finally after lunch on the third day, the white wolf came and took her away. He pulled her past the stair room murals, Evers and teachers who looked worrying at her wondering what would happen to her.