Chapter 1

"Dahlia, deliver these breads, will you?" Dahlia's mother, Wadi, asked, whilst her daughter tugged at her pink skirt. "I will be at home today making bread, and your father will be in the fields." 

Dahlia nodded. "Yes mama." 

With that, Dahlia checked she had everything, hopped on her tricycle, said "bismillah," then sped off. 

"Flower bread!" Dahlia said as she hopped down from her tricycle. An old Suli woman came out of her cottage, flanked by two grandchildren. 

"Thank you Dahlia," the old woman smiled. "Two boxes please." 

"Two? What about three?" Dahlia bargained. "Since your son is working in the mines and all." 

"Ah yes. I forget. Thank you." 

With a smile, Dahlia handed three boxes to the children. The old woman dropped the notes in her hand. 

"See you later!" Dahlia called as she rode off. 

After two more deliveries, Dahlia stopped at the Ghafa's abode. Her heart sank on seeing their children missing, but she went up to the parents regardless. 

"Mrs Ghafa! I have your flower bread," Dahlia said, hopping off her tricycle and grabbing a box with the name 'GHAFA' on it. The woman smiled at her.

"Thank you, Dahlia. Wild geraniums?" 

"Yes!" Dahlia smiled. Mrs Ghafa smiled as she smelt the bread. "Mmm. Your family sure does know how to make good food." 

"Heh. Thank my father for that. He taught me how to make these!" 

Dahlia took out another box. "Do you want some for..." The girl gestured to the empty seats at the table. 

Mr Ghafa smiled kindly at her. "Yes please." 

Dahlia nodded and handed over the box. After Mr Ghafa had placed it on the table, Dahlia stood there for a few moments, wringing her hands. The Ghafa household had once been full of life. Now, it was quiet. 

"The cousins are coming over today," Mrs Ghafa said. Dahlia sagged in relief. She had been afraid that Mr and Mrs Ghafa would spend the day alone. 

"That's good. Uh, I'll see you." 

"Goodbye, Dahlia." 

Dahlia just nodded awkwardly to the parents as she got on her tricycle and sped away. 

There were still some loaves left in the basket. Dahlia passed the second army, watching the grisha hone their powers.

When Dahlia got to the first army camps, she slammed the brakes, nearly sending her flying. The girl hopped off the tricycle and gave supplies to the first army - supplies that they had asked for, that would cross the Fold into East Ravka. 

Dahlia grabbed the two remaining packs from the basket at the back of her tricycle. Wadi had said not to go near the soldiers after work, but Dahlia wanted to at least help them by giving them more food. 

"Alina, look!"

"What is it, Mal?"

Two voices, belonging to a Suli boy and a Shu person, reached Dahlia's ears. The two jogged up to her. 

"What's this?" Mal asked. 

"Flower bread. Mama said not to go near soldiers, but she used to do this, too, before I was born." Dahlia handed over the packs. The Shu person took the food and opened it, wary. Not a tracker, Dahlia realised. A mapmaker. 

Dear Dahlia (Shadow And Bone)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें