Chapter 12

We pull up to a dull gray building and the air reeks of drywall and rust. The police officer opens the door and motions me to get out. I follow him accepting my defeat. I walk a little in front of him and open the large glass door. I find a small clock hung on the wall. It is about 1:45 in the morning.

They make me sit in the waiting room till they finally bring me into an ice cold room with an over enthusiastic lady. She attempts to explain the rules to be but I ignore her and drum my fingers on the wooden chair I was placed in. I follow her as we walk down a long and wide hallway, with a series of locked doors every hundred yards or so. I guess that means no escaping. I enter a warm room that looks more like a doctor's office than anything else. "Step on this scale sweetie," the lady says. I roll my eyes then place my bare feet on the rough metal. I cringe as I see the number flash on the digital monitor. I fade away into the night, as the awkward moments of where they had to strip me and check my scars and the confusion and the drunken state I was in, due to the pills.

I walk into my room and crawl into the hard bed. I pull my knees to my chest and sob. I sit there for hours on end, much too anxious. I look over to the left side of my room and I see my roommate as she rambles along in her sleep. I watch as the night "techs," as they were called, walk in every fifteen minutes to check on us and make sure we were completely safe. I slipped into sleep a few time that night, but for the most part I was awake all night.

I get up as soon as my roommates mumbles turn in to real and audible words and questions."Early riser hm?" she asks me as her once groggy voice turns more lighthearted.

"No. I just didn't sleep," I yawn.

"I'm Natalie, What's your name?"

"Tanner," I smile. We spend the rest of the morning talking about things. I specifically leave out the part about my dad, and who he is.

"Girls, time to get up," Mrs.Jessica, the night tech, say as though she didn't spend all Saturday night watching sleeping children. As creepy as that sounds, it was true. I crawl out of my bed as Natalie mentions the fact that I have to make my bed. I pull the rough sheets back into the bed, tightly, and toss the pillows on it. I follow my roommate into the hallway where we sit against one of the plain green walls. It isn't even a pretty green, it's the kind of green that you look at and it makes you want to vomit the same colored green that is plastered all over the mail hallways. A tall and narrow girl, with a plump face and strawberry colored hair sits down next to me. "I'm Lorana," she says.

"I'm Tanner."

"Are you anxious?" She says with a tilted head.

"Ha," I chuckle with edge on my voice. "Yeah, a little. Why do you ask?"

"Well your leg is shaking like crazy."

I look down and indeed my leg is shaking. I try to make it stop, but with fail, it doesn't. I lift my hands from my hand and watch them as they shake to the same degree as my leg. We are given a bag with our main necessities in it. Mine consist of a toothbrush, tooth paste, body soap, and shampoo. Jessica walks from door to door unlocking our own personal bathrooms, well each room has a bathroom, so not our own. I walk in there with Natalie by my side and I brush my teeth, I brush for a few minutes, just trying to distract myself from everything that is happening today. I borrow Natalie's hair brush till I can ask Vic to get me my own from home. I walk down into the breakfast room and wash my hands before selecting an apple to eat. I am too anxious to eat. I sit down and watch as a beautiful blond girl appears with Natalie. Her hair was curly and her cheeks were chubby, and even though she had just woken up, and looked like it. I was still in awe of her appearance. "I'm Mary," she says.

I smile and introduce myself also. I want to hide. I want to shrink down so no one can see me. I don't fit in with these beautiful girls and boys. I look across the small lunchroom and look at the boys. Their faces contort into people all staring, laughing, like I'm some zoo exhibit.

"Hey, hey," Natalie snaps in my face. I look at her in fear. I study her plump body and her brown hair. Her face was normal, nothing too special, but still prettier than me. "What's wrong?"

"I know everyone in here is going to hate me, if they already do."

"No, no, no darling. Just by talking to you this morning, you're so sweet!" I smile but I feel just about the same. Breakfast goes by slowly as I meet the rest of the people here. Total, there are twelve of us. Maximum there is allowed to be. Six boys. Six girls.

I feel a sharp pain in my left arm and I know immediately what it is. The pain meds have finally worn off and the sharp pain of the cuts were appearing.

Visiting hours.

No. I don't want to see Vic after what I have just done. I am too ashamed. Hey maybe he won't even show up because I am too much to handle. Better than him showing up. I walk into the, classroom sized, recreation room. The air of the room is cold and dry.

I see Vic. Oh God.