Chapter Twenty-nine

It had only been a few days after the death of Rhaenyra and Aegon, and the council at King's landing was already torn apart.

Most of the member still in support of Rhaenyra, stood by her wish to have Adira as heir while some of the others, thought it was only fair that Aegon's son ascend the throne.

No one had bent the knee to either of the two and to avoid another war from happening, the council took it upon themselves to decide who would rule.

Daemon, who was away for the whole time, was not happy about having Alicent back in the council without his consent.

"Your queen has already chosen her heir so that she may take her place after she had passed" Daemon told the others present "not for you all to argue amongst yourselves about who you see fit to sit on the throne"

"The iron throne belonged to Aegon" Alicent responded "it's only fair that his son-"

"No one asked you" Daemon quickly snapped "you may have managed to steal the throne from my wife but you will not repeat the same with my daughter"

"You know the realm will plot to have Adira overthrown if she's queen" The woman stood up from her chair "Maelor being a-"

"Oh shut up" Daemon waved her off, looking at her with boredom "don't you dare try to disguise your disagreement as concern for how the realm will treat Adira"

"I was only-"

"My lords" Ser Erryk opened the doors to interrupt them "princess Adira and prince Aemond"

Silence followed as the members of the council stood up out of respect as the couple walked in, Aemond gently holding Adira's hand while he had his other behind his back.

Adira wore a turquoise blue gown, with silver accents and her dainty saphire necklace while Aemond wore a midnight blue vest, his eye patch missing.

Adira never really had much interest in being queen, thus she had not been overly eager to take the iron throne. Though in the wake of her mother's passing, she aspired to govern in order to bring peace to the realm, something the greens had failed to do.

Adira and Aemond, who were still quiet prevalently known as the Blue council, walked to the head of the table, before ushering for the rest of them to be seated.

Aemond pulled the chair for his wife as he stood by her side, while Ser Erryk brought him a chair of his own.

"Forgive my bluntness" one of the members, spoke "but this meeting is only for the queen's council"

"Is that so?" Adira kept her expression unreadable "was lady Alicent on that council as well then?"

"Adira we are discussing an important-" She tried to find reason with her but was cut off.

"She hasn't addressed you yet, mother" Aemond spoke in his signature monotone voice.

Alicent sat there silent, not expecting her son to put his wife on a higher pedestal than her.

"Seeing as how I'm going to be your queen, I only see it fit for me to be present" Adira laced her fingers together "or does someone here oppose my rule?"

Daemon smirked.

"There are talks of another having equal claim" one of the men on Alicent's side informed "my lady-"

"There isn't anyone who has any claim to that throne but me" Adira shot back at him "oh but do amuse me and tell me of who it is who thinks they have half as much of a claim to it as me"

"Maelor Targaryen" the man answered "son of Aegon the second"

"Adira is the proclaimed heir" Aemond decided to interrupt "much after Aegon was overthrown which ended the line of his children being the successors, there is no question of anyone else staking their claim"

"Aemond he's your nephew" Alicent reminded, unsure of how her sweet boy had turned into a cold distant man who presently was wrapped around his wife's finger.

"So you're suggesting I support my four year old nephew to rule reign over my wife, the legitimate heir? He inquired about his mother "Adira is well-educated, adept with the sword, and has engaged in and prevailed in combat. I believe that it is rather evident as to-

"I suppose if she were to sign the crown matrimonial" another lord spoke "you would become the legitimate king, making your rule over the seven kingdoms so much stable and the realm would support you I'm sure of it"

"Tell me my lord" Aemond smiled at him but there was something unsettling about it "do you have an avid desire to free your head from your shoulders?"

"My prince?"

"I would suggest you keep your mouth shut and to think twice before you proceed to suggest to me about stealing my wife's crown"

Aemond had often dreamed about being king, so much so that he'd mildly resented his older brother for being crowned over himself. But his love for Adira was vehement, in front of which his desire to be king withered away over the course of time.

Adira nervously fidgeted with her dress sleeves, realisation slowly sinking in about how many of the nobles wouldn't support her as their ruler because of the sole reason was that she was born a woman.

Aemond, who had grown quiet observant of small details about his wife noticed her picking at the material of her sleeves. He discreetly reached over and laced their fingers together under the table, giving his beloved an assuring squeeze.

"Well since there isn't much to discuss here" Daemon stood up "Adira will be anointed and crowned as queen, the lords of the realm will be present and will swear obeisance to her"

"Any man who refuses" Aemond added "shall be known as a traitor to the crown, and shall be put to the sword"

Adira, unsure of such drastic measures, leaned forward to say something but Aemond gave her a gentle squeeze of the hand, ushering for her to not say anything on the matter for now.

The members of the council stood up and took their leave in silence. Once they'd left, Alicent spoke.

"The council had suggested having a vote"

"There will be no such thing" Adira rose from her chair.

"Your step-mother attacked the city and took the throne" Alicent raised her voice "my children are dead because of her"

"My brothers and my mother are dead because of you" Adira snapped "you've pretend to be this pure and amiable individual this whole time while you've been scheming to glorify your house by using your children and surrendering as a puppet to your father so do not speak to me of loss when you have been the cause behind all of it"

"You are blaming me" Alicent asked even though she knew the words Adira spoke held a certain truth to it "all I've done was in service to the realm while Rhaenyra exploited her privilege for her own advantage"

"The only reason I'm not having you locked away is out of respect for you as the mother of my husband" Adira spoke coldly "beyond that, I hold nothing for you. So it would be in your best interest to watch what you say about my late queen mother"

Alicent for a moment hoped Aemond would say something but he didn't.

Adira took Aemond's arm as they both left the room with Daemon following, leaving Alicent alone both physically and emotionally.