Chapter Nineteen

Adira never thought she would be present alongside the black council planning their strategy for a war against the greens, amongst which her betrothed Aemond stood.

The tension in the air was so evident along with the ghost of anxiety that had made its home among the members of the council, putting everyone on edge.

"Your cause owns a power that has not been seen in this world since the days of old Valyria" one of the members of the council spoke "dragons"

Rhaenyra looked at the man as if he'd replaced his brain for a stone.

"The greens have dragons as well" she reminded.

"They have three adults, by my count" Daemon interrupted "we have Syrax, Caraxes and Meleys. Your sons have Vermax, Arrax and Tyraxes. My daughters have Agnar and Moondancer"

"Daemon, none of our dragons have been to war"

"There are also unclaimed dragons" he continued "Seasmoke still resides on Driftmark. Vermithor and Silverwing dwell on the Dragonmont, still riderless. Then there are the three wild dragons all of whom nest here"

"And who is to ride them?" The queen questioned, unsure of why her husband would even suggest this when none of the dragons nor her children had ever fought in a war or even remotely come close to fighting a mere battle.

"Dragonstone has fourteen to their four" Daemon summed up, in hopes to remind them that they were at an advantage over the greens, regardless of their inexperience in battle "I also have a score of eggs incubating in the Dragonmont. Now we need a place to gather large enough to house a sizeable host, I suggest Harrenhall. We cut off the west, surround Kings landing with the dragons and we could have every green head mounted on spikes before the fucking moon turns"

"You mean to kill them once we've won over the Redkeep?" Adira asked, finding her father's plan a bit too extreme.

"Yes, that is exactly what I intend to do" the king consort turned to look at his daughter "if you are concerned about your betrothed, you needn't worry there are plenty of other men in the realm who-"

"That's not what I asked" Adira snapped "holding them captive and under arrest is of course necessary by all means but killing them is-"

"You would rather have me spare those traitorous cunts?" Daemon's tone changed to a much harsher one "has your eagerness to wed Aemond blinded you to a point where you no longer see that his brother is sitting on your mother's throne?"

"Enough, both of you" Rhaenyra sternly shouted to end their banter.

"Your grace" Ser Erryk interrupted "a ship has been sighted offshore, a lone galleon flying a banner of a three-headed green dragon"

"Alert the watch towers. Sight the skies" Daemon announced as he walked around the table to grab his sword before proceeding to walk to the gates of Dragonstone to meet with the uninvited guests.

The way leading up to the entrance seemed longer than usual and Daemon began to walk faster, eager to hear what their messenger had to say for the treasonous act of the greens.

While Daemon finally made it toward the the gates and waited for the party of the greens, Otto, who was sent as Aegons's envoy, took his time to walk toward Daemon as his guards.

"I come at the behest of the dowager queen Alicent" Otto announced "mother of king Aegon, second of his name, Lord and protector of the seven kingdoms"

He paused for Daemon to say something but all he did was stare at him like as if he couldn't wait to shoot an arrow through his skull. So he continued after receiving nothing but silence.