Chapter Seven

"You were late" Rheanyra addressed Adira who she summoned to her chamber "this hearing was important"

After she and Aemond flew back to the castle, Adira returned to her chamber and dozed off to sleep.

She woke up to the sound of a servant girl calling out to her, asking if she was alright. The girl opened the door to answer when she was informed that Rheanyra had summoned her for the hearing regarding the succession of Driftmark, which had already begun.

"I woke up late" the girl fidgeted with her dress sleeves.

"You're a part of this family" Daemon spoke in high valerian, his disappointment evident in the tone"It was important that you were present"

"That's rich coming from you" the girl muttered under her breath in the same language she was addressed in.

"Ria" Rheanyra's voice grew firm. She did not want her stepdaughter and husband to argue amidst the other chaotic matters that was already left for her to deal with "I expect you to be on your best behaviour during your stay here"

"Yes I know"

"Make sure you arrive on time for dinner" She reminded "off you go now"

The young girl gave a curt nod before leaving the room to find Jace and Luke.

The both of them were in their old nursery, which Adira took quiet some time to find.

"Congratulations on the engagement boys" Adira smiled as she found herself a chair.

"I always thought you'd be the first among us to be betrothed" Luke said as he looked through some draws, hoping to find something interesting.

"Who would want to marry her?" Jace teased "she's a handful to manage"

"Look who's talking" Adira rolled her eyes.

"You were late today " Luke stated.

"Yes thankyou for telling me" The girl replied, sarcasm lacing her words "I had no idea"

"That's unlike you" the younger boy didn't react to her statement "what happened?"

"I just slept late" Adira shrugged.

"Princesses are always punctual" Jace stated, examining a book he found.

"Yes you would know all about it wouldn't you princess Jacaerys" Adira bowed mockingly to which Luke laughed in amusement.

Jace rolled his eyes before he too chuckled with them.

Adira made it to the dining hall before everyone else did. She didn't rest at all during the day to avoid sleeping in again and being late for dinner.

"Adira" Alicent greeted as she walked in accompanied by her father "you're early, how long have you been here?"

"Not long your grace" the girl smiled "I only just got here"

"Oh good" the queen smiled back warmly.

Aegon arrived soon after with his wife Helaena and his brother Aemond.

The boys stood to the side to talk among themselves while Helaena came over to talk to Adira.

Eventually Rhaenyra came in with Daemon, Jace, Luke, Baela and Rhaena.

Everyone took their places at the table, with Alicent and Rheanyra sitting at the king's right and left respectively. Otto sat beside his daughter the same way Daemon sat beside his wife. Aemond sat to Otto's right at the head of the table and Luke was across from him at the foot of the table with Rhaena at his right.