Chapter Nine

Turning twenty didn't seem like much of a big deal to Adira.

It didn't seem like a big deal to anyone who was turning twenty.

And yet Viserys made it seem like the heavens had opened its doors to Adira. He had this banquet planned for the evening that Adira was definitely not looking forward to.

Not because she hated parties, it was quiet the opposite.

But because Daemon had invited a few lords and ladies in the realm who had sons that might be promising suitors for his daughter Adira.

The king expected an answer by dinner with regards to Adira's chosen suitor. He was of course, not happy about his brother inviting other contenders for the princess's hand but he was slightly relieved that at the very least, Adira would finally be betrothed.

The princess wasn't expecting to attend a celebration so she was slightly disappointed that she didn't have a rather grand dress to wear to the occasion.

She picked a pale lilac dress with a hint of silver accents.

The ladies' maids assisted her in getting dressed and helped her with her hair.

She asked them to braid a few locks of hair but still keep most of her hair loose. She did however instruct them to braid that one lock of platinum blonde hair and somehow tuck it behind her long locks so that it wasn't visible.

Once they were done they left the princess to herself to finish readying herself.

A knock on the door brought her out of her mental debate on which necklace she should have around her neck.

"Come in" she called out as she browsed through some of the jewellery she'd brought along with her.

Her half brothers often teased her for over packing. This one time, she wished that she ignored them and brought along all of the unnecessary dresses and jewels.

Adira looked into the mirror of the dresser to see who it was who visited her and was slightly surprised to find Aemond looking back at her in the mirror while to stood at her doorway.

"Eh sorry I didn't know you were still getting dressed" the prince awkwardly walked in as he looked at everything around him except at Adira who had now fully turned to look at him.

"Oh I'm already done it's alright" Adira stood up and took a step toward him "is there something you needed?"

"Well I uh" Aemond put his hand into the pocket of his coat and reached for something. When he drew his hand out of the pocket there was a dainty chain he was holding on to "I got you this for your name day"

Adira, even though she couldn't stand the one eyed prince, couldn't help but smile.

"May I?" The boy asked as he held the chain with both his hands now.

Adira responded by turning around so that her back was facing him. She gently held her hair up slightly, to expose her neck, making it easier for Aemond to put on the necklace.

The boy stepped forward and put the chain around her neck and fastened the clasp at the back before stepping back and folding his arms across his chest.

Adira looked down at the pendant that sat just above her collarbone. It was a simple silver necklace that had small diamonds an inch apart from each other with a stone for a pendant that was almost tear shaped and no bigger than her finger nail.

She carefully fiddled with the pendant between her fingers.

"Sapphire" she softly mumbled with a smile before turning around "good choice"