68. in the shadows

Song of the chapter is
Monsters by Ruelle

-69-
-Zoya Afreen-
-Present-

-69--Zoya Afreen--Present-

____________

Delmore High
21 December, 2030
4:03pm

"Oh my god. It's....you."

As the words left Siya's lips, my gaze immediately went to her.

"Who is he?" Himanshu asked.

Siya's face was stricken with horror. Her eyes had a shade of disbelief in them, as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"Who is this guy, Siya?" Saina repeated Himanshu's question.

"Yeah." The man spoke, his voice hoarse. "Tell them who I am, Siya."

Siya exchanged a horrified look with Kartik who seemed equally shocked.

"Mohit?" Kartik said. "Why?"

"Why?" The man turned towards him. "You have the audacity to ask me why?"

"Who are you?" Saina asked again, raising a brow. If it wasn't for this damn tape on my lips, I would've asked the more important questions.

"The guy you drove into insanity and killed." He spoke, facing away from us. "I'm...his father."

My eyes widened as realisation dawned in on me.

"You're... ya-yash's father?" Siya's voice quivered.

He turned to look at us, his eyes gleaming with rage and revenge and smirked.

"Scared?"

A strong, unending silence followed that. The sheer absurdity of the situation as the pieces of the puzzle slowly fit together in silence felt unreal. I exchanged a look with Himanshu, urging him to ask the questions that all of us were scared to utter.

"So that's why you helped Alishka?" He asked. "Because you think we killed your son?"

"I don't think that. I know that."

"Are you insane?" Saina asked, bewildered. "That bitch murdered your wife! That's why Yash started this game in the first place!"