26. hope is dangerous thing for me to have

Song of the chapter is Hope Is A Dangerous Thing by Lana Del Rey

-26-
-Veronica D'Rosario-
-Present-

-26--Veronica D'Rosario--Present-

___________

Delmore High Court
24 November, 2030
3:00 pm

As we both stood in front of the large shelves of well stacked files, a sense of deja vu filled my senses.

His tongue clicked in it's place as my phone buzzed in my pocket. Extracting it, I found a message from Zoya, saying that she had managed to create a viable distraction for the clerk outside to stay busy with whilst we found the files. The second text from her read,

'You guys have approximately ten minutes before the guard notices. Find what you have to ASAP!'

I replied back with an 'okay' before putting it on vibration. As I stuffed it back in my pocket, I saw him move towards the first shelf to his left. He started scouring through the files, sifting his eyes through the dates plastered against each stack.

"How will we know which year they might've committed crimes in?" I asked, taking a step towards him.

"Well, I'm hoping to look for it in the recent months and years." He said without deigning me a look, continuing to sift through the stack of files.

"How recent are we talking?" I asked as I joined him in the task.

"Two, maybe three years." He said, this time looking at me. I nodded and got to work.

"It's gotta be here somewhere." He sighed before doing the same.

As I looked through several names and dates, one struck me immediately. "What did you say the lead singer's name was? Of Velvet Concord?"

"Charlie Lopez." He answered. "He was a junior to us at Delmore High."

"Well, there is a C. Lopez here." I said as I pulled out a blue file from the shelf. I handed it over to him and he took a closer look at it.

Looking up at me, he said, "This might be it."

We settled at the little table kept by the edge of the room and started looking over the contents inside. I followed his gaze as he read or rather mumbled to himself, "Dated 12 May, 2027, M. Fernandez, D. Alvares, S. Borges, lead by C.Lopez were convicted under Section 376-"

"Rape." The word left my mouth before I could even process anything else. It earned me a look from him before he went back to reading again.