23. cryptic clues

Song of the chapter is
Homecoming by Jeff Russo

-23-
-Siya Malhotra-
-Present-

-23--Siya Malhotra--Present-

______________

Paper Lantern
24 November, 2030
10:30 am

It had been two days since Veronica was discharged from the hospital.

The doctors had advised her to rest for atleast a week before doing any straining activities. But we all knew that whenever there was a mystery at hand, Veronica couldn't just sit out.

And so currently she had asked us to gather at Paper Lantern, in order to figure out the mystery of the note that Saina and I had received on the night she and Kartik were attacked. Currently only Saina, Zoya, Kartik and I were present.

"This makes absolutely no sense." Zoya threw her arms in the air, once she was done reading the content of the note.

"We know, Zoya." My husband pacified.

"I don't understand- i mean, it's just a bunch of numbers strung together." Zoya uttered with distress. She passed the note back towards me.

"I mean, Siya's the smartest among us. If she can't figure it out, how are the rest of us supposed to?" Saina voiced.

"I wouldn't say that, I mean." I hung my head down modestly.

"No, but she's right." My husband uttered, sitting on my other side. "I mean, both of us have already tried to figure it out but no avail."

"When are the lovebirds coming?" Zoya asked Kartik.

"Himanshu was supposed to pick Veronica up from the hospital half hour ago. They'll be here soon." He replied.

"Why is she at the hospital again?" I asked.

"Just a routine checkup. The doctor had asked her to go so..." Kartik responded. I nodded.

"And Zoya, please don't call them lovebirds in front of them." Saina suggested. "They already seem awkward enough with each other."

"Hey, Kartik was the one who suggested that Himanshu should pick V up!" Zoya retorted.

"That's because he's the only one with a car of his own, Zoya." Kartik responded. "But you're right,....maybe I shouldn't have suggested that. It could make things even more awkward."

"It's so....weird." I narrowed my eyes. "Back in the days, Himanshu wouldn't do anything without mentioning her. And now...."

"Guess it has something to do with Veronica's absence all these years." Kartik responded. "You know, she was going to tell me something the other day when we were in the security room, but then we got interrupted by your call." He said looking at me.