18. there will be blood

Song of the chapter is Madness by Ruelle

-18-
-Saina Bahl-
-Present-

-18--Saina Bahl--Present-

___________

Delmore Inn
15 November, 2030
10:05 am

"Gautam, listen-"

I began for the unteempth time, trying to get him to stop barking at the phone and listen to what I wanted to say. But the efforts were in vain. He just didn't want to listen.

"I don't wanna hear it, Saina!" He scowled, getting louder by the minute. "When I call you, you must answer god damnit! Taking me for granted isn't gonna do you any fucking favours alright!"

"I wasn't.... I didn't take you for granted, Gautam." I tried explaining. "I told you..... I have a situation going on in here."

"Do I sound like I fucking care?" He belligerently enunciated. "You promised you'd get your ass back at home within today! You can't just spring that you can't come upon me now!"

"Gautam, I-" I stammered, stopping my pace. "I'm in real trouble right now, okay? It's a lot complicated.... I can't explain it to you....over phone. Please try to understand."

"For god's sake, Saina, why are you so selfish? You always paint yourself to be the victim, when in reality, you're not one at all!"

It took my everything not to throw my phone across the floor and break it into shards.

"You know how important the upcoming meetings are for me! And now when I need you the fucking most, you decide to abandon me! And for what? Having a jolly time with your so called 'friends'?" He bellowed.

Yeah, jolly time indeed.

"Are you even listening to me? I told you..... I am in trouble. There has been an incident at the reunion. Four people were murdered." I chose to give in. There was no way I could give him the full details, but in order to steer this conversation somewhere else, I needed to feed him with something.

"What's that got to do with you?"

Ofcourse, what had I expected really? Concern? Sympathy? Pity?

I was so stupid to have even thought that he could be concerned about anyone other than himself.

"Gautam,..... there's a killer on the loose. And every one in town is a suspect. No one can leave town until the killer is caught."