54. grave encounters

Song of the chapter is
Fine Line by Harry Styles

-54-
-Himanshu Arora-
-Present-

-54--Himanshu Arora--Present-

__________

Mittal Mansion
12 December, 2030
8:15 am

"Are we really doing this?" Asked Siya as she glanced at all of us. None of us looked thrilled to be doing this.

"You got a better idea?" Zoya responded with another question.

"Any other clues as to what he could've meant?" Kartik asked, looking around for any signs of Mrs. Mittal lurking.

"It's not a definite he," I said. "It could also be a she."

"Like it matters at this point, Moose." Ronnie said, her tone laced with worry and frustration. "Look, the killer sent Saina a text saying 'when visiting an old flame, dig a little deeper.' Who else could be an old flame for Saina other than Avinash?"

When none of us said a word in response, she commanded. "That's what I thought. Now let's get digging."

"Wait...we need to make sure Mrs. Mittal doesn't stumble upon this." Saina voiced her concern.

"You're right." I nodded. "We need a distraction."

"Kartik, pip pip!" Zoya smacked his arm, speaking in a hushed tone.

"What? Why me?" He whined, looking at her.

"Because she's your best friend's mother, dingus." Zoya said in an obvious tone. "She probably trusts you more than any of us."

The rest of us nodded in acknowledgement.

"Fine!" Kartik huffed. "But make it quick."

Saying that, he jogged back to the house and disappeared out of our sight.

"You brought shovels?" Saina asked, bewildered as she looked at the tool box in Zoya's hand.

"Yeah, V thought it would be a good idea to be prepared." Zoya answered.

"You guys do know that this is illegal, right?" Siya asked.

"Then it's a good thing I'm friends with a police officer." Zoya said and winked.

"Yeah, right." I mocked. "Friends."

The result was a smack on my arm.

"Let's start digging, guys." Ronnie said, taking one of the shovels out of the box.

We all glanced at each other in resignation as we started shoveling the dirt and digging the grave of our old friend. Saina grew quieter as we went on. I could only imagine what she was going through.