Chapter 33: They are Hurt

[Chris]

It was the next morning after the gala. I walked into the school with Chase by my side. Chase was talking about a football game he had watched last night but I couldn't pay attention much. A bad feeling was developing in the pit of my stomach since I had woken up.

Maybe it was because of Eleanor, I thought. I shouldn't have taken her to that ridiculous gala. What was I thinking? She was nervous all through the evening, especially after their talk with Lara and her mother. 

She told me nothing had happened and my mom had taken care of everything, but I couldn't help the nagging feeling that was telling me that Lara had done something. I was going to ask Eleanor that morning again, but she insisted that she wanted to come to school herself.

I was going to kill Lara if I was going to find out that she had upset my angel.

"Are you even listening, dude?" asked Chase, and sighed when I looked at him and blinked several times confused. "Obviously not. Did something happen last night? You are so tense. You are clenching your hands like you want to punch someone."

"I don't know." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "Everything was perfect up until I saw Lara and her bitch of a mother talking to my mom, Emmy and Eleanor. I think Lara must have done something because after that Eleanor seemed tense and uncomfortable. She even didn't let me pick her up this morning and it's killing me to give her space. Yet, I don't want to suffocate her."

"Well, fuck." cursed Chase. "Don't worry. You can talk to her after school. Take her to a coffee shop or something."

He then let out an exasperated sigh. "Fuck! This whole relationship shit is so confusing." he grumbled. "One moment they are all laughing and the next they're crying their eyes out and you don't even know what the fuck you have done wrong. I can't even smoke without Mia handing me my balls on a silver platter. I feel like a hopeless puppy who is drooling and waging its tail waiting eagerly so she only looks at me."

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Well puppy, I don't see you complaining when you lay on your back, belly up so she can pet you." I said with a knowing smirk.

Chase smirked as well and licked his lips. "Oh, no, definitely not." he said and wiggled his eyebrows.

We both burst out laughing and walked toward the lockers. I tried to convince myself that everything was fine. But the bad feeling in my heart only grew with each passing second.

The corridors were crowded and I couldn't find Eleanor anywhere between the teachers and students that were rushing around. Not being able to stay away from Eleanor anymore, I fished my phone out of my pocket to call her but just then I heard a high-pitched voice screaming my name.

"CHRIS!"

"Speak of the bitch and she shall appear." grunted Chase under his breath.

But my heart was jumping out of my chest for an unknown reason. Something bad had happened. I turned around and my heart sank when I saw Lara running to me crying her eyes out and I could see real fear and panic in her eyes.

Eleanor was nowhere.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want this to happen." cried Lara, not caring that everyone was seeing her like that. 

I couldn't breathe. My heart was beating in my throat. "What the hell are you talking about?" I snarled as Lara reached me and grabbed my collar with shaky hands.

"Vincent and Hector." she screamed. "I asked them to help me scare Eleanor. I didn't think they will try to rape her. You should help her. They are in the backyard behind the bins. Please."