Chapter 24: Her father

[Eleanor]

"Have I mentioned how beautiful you look tonight?"

I jumped slightly when I felt Chris's hot breath on my neck and ear. 

"Don't sneak up on me." I grumbled a bit and slapped his arm playfully, hardly hiding my blush and my smile.

"You two make me want to vomit." said one of the cooks as he put the plates in front of Chris and glared at us, making me look like a tomato. "Table number 4."

Chris chuckled a bit and grabbed the plates. He then winked at me and left the kitchen. This is how it was for the past five days that Chris and Chase were working at the restaurant. They both were even working at the weekends just like me and both of their presences were making me feel much better.

I should say both of them stunned me. They both worked so skilfully that you would assume they were waiters for long. Mrs. Pine too was stunned by their ability. 

I was so happy. Chris would use every moment he would find to sweet talk with me or give me his words of adoration and I could say we both had become much closer. I was feeling much better also, much lighter and happier.

He was truly my guardian angel.

"Table number 6."

I was snapped out of my thoughts as three plates were placed in front of me. "Thank you." I said and then put the plates in my trolley and walked out of the kitchen.

"Eleanor, serve table 11 and get their order, please." said Mrs. Pine. "be careful. They are a very wealthy couple and we don't want to lose them."

"Okay." I said as I walked toward table 6 quickly. I then picked a few menus and pushed my trolley forward toward table 11. On my way, I saw Chris who winked at me, making me smile.

I looked up and saw a woman and a man sitting at table 11. The back of the man was to me but I could say from his hair which had strands of gray that he was middle-aged. The woman who I could see looked like one of the snobbish rich people. Her face was caked with makeup and she was wearing a tight sleeveless dark green dress. Her face although beautiful was scrunched with mild disgust as she would glance at other people as if they were dirt under her heels.

Not wanting to cause any trouble, I dropped my head once I reached the table and quickly grabbed the bottle of wine and poured it into their glasses. 

"Good evening. I'm Eleanor and I'm your waitress tonight." I said in one breath and then looked up with my formal smile.

And I desperately wished that I had not.

My smile faded immediately and my heart sank to the bottom of my feet as I came face to face with the man and my eyes fixed on his wide ones. I'm sure that I forget to breathe for a few minutes before he uttered his first words.

"Eleanor!" he whispered shocked, but I heard him nonetheless. 

I was clutching the bottle in my hands for dear life as my body began to tremble violently and I started to breathe unevenly as I stared at him. I knew that voice. I have heard it for 16 years of my life. He would read me bedtime stories when I was a small little girl and he was still living with us.

When he was my one and true hero.

When he had not left us yet.

When I was still calling him dad.

Yes,

There in front of me, at table 11 with another woman, in an expensive suit, sat my dear father who was wearing a wedding ring different from the one from his wedding with my mom.