Chapter 28: Her Mom

[Eleanor]

"I could never believe that Harrington can be this romantic," said Mia as we put a few things in the locker.

It was Monday but I was full of energy. The past three days were so perfect for me. 

I am Chris's girlfriend!

Yeah, he asked me yesterday when he had come to my house before we went outside. And of course, I said yes! It was like a dream for me. Despite all my problems I was feeling energized. I was feeling as if nothing can stop me, nothing can hurt me now that Chris is my boyfriend, and nothing bad can happen.

Only if I knew what was going to happen ...

"As if Chase is any different," I said sarcastically while closing my locker. "The big bad boy is like a lovesick puppy around you."

Mia giggled happily and hooked her arm with mine. "Sure he is." she chirped happily. "Now let's go and don't keep them waiting."

We took a step forward only for Mia to stop and groan. "I forgot my lunch is in my car." she whined and looked at me. "You go ahead. I will join you in a few minutes."

"Okay," I said and watched Mia run in the other direction. I shook my head with a smile and began to walk toward the cafeteria.

I only had walked for a few seconds when my phone went off. I smiled thinking it might be Chris calling me to check where I was but my smile instantly turned into a frown as I looked at the unknown number.

"Hello, this is Eleanor James." I said as I answered my phone and walked into an empty classroom on my right. 

"Miss. James, I'm calling from the hospital that your mother is admitted to," said a woman on the other side of the line and I felt my heart skip a bit. "You should come here instantly. I'm sorry to say this but your mother's condition has become critical."

All around me the world's sounds muffled. I only could hear my frantic heart, beating miles a second. I didn't even realize that I have sank to the floor on my knees. It was hard to breathe, my lungs were refusing to take the oxygen in or out. 

My worst nightmare had happened.

"Miss. James? Miss. James? Are you there? Are you fine?" the woman's yelling on the other side of the line brought me out of my trance. 

"Yes," I whispered into the phone.

"Please come here as fast as you can." said the woman. "This is urgent."

"I will." I choked and end the call, hardly standing up on my wobbly legs. I even hadn't realized I was crying.

I took a step toward the door but my legs gave away and I fell on my knees again and sobs shook my body.

No! This couldn't happen. Mom was fine yesterday when I went to see her. She was so happy when I told her about me and Chris. She looked fine. She couldn't leave us. She just couldn't.

Using a desk beside me I pushed myself off of the ground and this time forced myself to walk. I was lost. I was panicked. I was shaking so badly that I had to clutch my phone with both hands to not drop it. I was scared out of my wits.

I needed Chris.

I dashed out of the class and ran toward the cafeteria at full speed. I opened my way through the students who cursed me and yelled at me but my mind wasn't giving any attention to them. There were only two thoughts in my head.

My mom was dying. I needed to find Chris.

I ran into the cafeteria and searched franticly for the familiar face of Chris. My vision was blurry and my body was shaking so badly. And then I saw him. He was looking at me smiling, but his smile dropped almost instantly and the next second I ran toward him as he did the same.