Chapter 25: When their lips touched

[Chris]

It was Friday, the day of our important match. It was morning and I was standing in my bathroom, looking at my reflection, deep in thought. I sighed and dropped my head and my grip on the edges of the sink tightened.

Three days had passed since Eleanor had seen her father. She was doing her best to act normal. She had her smile on, but you could easily tell that it was fake. Her eyes were sad and she looked so heartbroken whenever she thought no one is looking at her and would let go of her mask.

I admired her strength. Not everyone could be like her. But I wanted to see her happy again. I needed desperately to do something but I didn't know what and that was draining me to no end. 

I was afraid to fuck up in the match with my lack of focus. It was very important for us to win. If we could win our next two matches, we could play in the state tournament which could lead us to the country tournament.

My blood boiled when I remembered Eleanor's bloody father. That bastard didn't even deserve to be called father. It was a sacred name that not everyone deserved it.

And my father was one of those who deserved it.

I could remember that night when I came home after taking Eleanor home. 

I stepped inside the house and sighed tiredly. It was such a long and tiring day. For the first time in my life, I was feeling emotionally drained. Seeing Eleanor that sad and heartbroken was killing me.

I sighed again and walked to the kitchen, desperately needing some painkillers for my throbbing head. After swallowing two pills I walked upstairs, wanting to just threw myself on the bed and sleep.

I stopped in my tracks once I passed in front of the library. It was odd to see the lights on. It was half past 11 and my parents were usually asleep by then. I frowned and opened the door slightly.

My father had sat on a sofa with a book in his hand and his feet on a foot stool in front of him. His glasses were on but his eyes were closed. His head had been laid on the back seat and his mouth was slightly ajar.

I smiled a bit at seeing him. I couldn't look away. Suddenly after god knows how long, I felt utter love and respect toward my father. He looked peaceful in his sleep, but I knew how many sleepless nights he had only to make sure we have a good life, to not have any troubles.

We had a very hard life when I was a kid, but he had stood like a rock and had made sure we pass through that fucking time with success. He had put his life in order to create this life for us and those hard times had their impact on him. His hair was much whiter than someone his age and his forehead had so many wrinkles.

It was at that moment that I understood what kind of a jewel he was. It was that night, right after seeing Eleanor's bastard of a father, that I understood what a great father my dad was. For the first time in my life, I wanted to be like him, a man of my family just like him if not better.

I quietly went to my room and picked a blanket from my bed. I went back to the library and walked to my father. Gently, I threw the blanket on him and picked up his glasses.

I just stood there and stared at him for a minute before walking toward the door and turning off the light.

I groaned and looked into the mirror again. "What are you doing to my life, Eleanor?" I whispered as I stared at my reflection.

My eyes become sad and desperate. "What can I do to make you feel better?" I whispered and sighed again, beginning to get ready for my day.

Since I was working at the hotel and didn't have time for my schoolwork, I would pick up Eleanor early in the morning and we would do our homework in the school's library. I should admit, my grades had improved too since I had met Eleanor.